Chapter 10 - Homeless?

Once my heart rate returned to normal, and I could think clearly again, I pulled off into the school parking lot and took a deep breath. I can't believe I just did that. I just had a blowout fight with my mom. Never in my life would I have thought I would do that, but she honestly gave me no choice. I had finally felt like I was becoming my own person and stepping out of my shell, and she wanted to shove me back into it. 

Let alone trying to keep me away from Oscar. We literally just started dating in person, and there was no way in hell she would be able to keep me away from him. 

I pulled out my phone and noticed that there were already 3 missed calls from my mother. I knew that she wasn't ready to talk with me yet, so I decided not even to bother calling her back yet. I scrolled through my phone, trying to find Oscar's number, but I realized that I only have his email. 

I thought about writing one to him, and as my fingers hovered over the keyboard, I hesitated. If I went over to his house, my mom would become even more upset with us. I wanted Oscar to get along with my parents in the future, so I closed out my email and found Mia's cell number instead. 

I pressed the call button and waited for her to pick up. After the 4th ring or so, she finally answered, "Lana! How are you! How was the date!? Did he kiss you? Did you like it? Tell me everything!" she yelled through the phone. 

I pulled back from my ear a little, rubbing the ringing out of my ears before answering, "It was amazing. We did kiss, and yes, I liked it, but I have something to ask you that's kind of urgent."

"Oh, okay, sure! What's up?" she asked. 

"Well, it's a long story, but can I stay at your place tonight?"

"Sure! Your welcome anytime! When do you want to come over?"

"Now-ish?"

"It's like 11 in the morning. Is everything all right?" she asked.

"I'm alright, but I need a place to crash tonight. I can explain everything when I get to your place, though, I promise."

"You better! And I want to hear literally everything about your date. Oscar was supposed to call me after, but he told me he would take a nap or something first. What a loser, right? But hey! He's your loser now!" Mia joked. 

"That he is," I agreed. "Well, I'm at the school parking lot right now, so I'll leave from here as soon as you text me your address."

"Sounds good! See you soon!" 

Once Mia's address was loaded onto my phone, I headed back out towards the Broadmore area of town. I was honestly kind of surprised to find out the Mia lived on that side of town, given the fact that most of those houses are in the multimillion price range. 

As I navigated through the intimidating neighborhood, my phone dinged, letting me know that I had arrived at my destination. I pulled into the driveway, and Mia popped her head out from behind the bright red front door and waved. "Just park your scooter over there by the end of the driveway so my parents can pull their car in!"

"Okay!" I waved back. As I took off my helmet, Mia came out, still in her pajama's and noted the duffel bag, "are you staying for the night or a week?"

"Hopefully just for the night," I said sheepishly. 

"Lana, what's going on?" Mia asked, wrapping her arms around my shoulder and guiding me towards her house.

"I fought with my mom," I sighed. Mia took my duffel bag off my shoulder and motioned for me to follow her upstairs. Her house was charming. The walls were warm white, and there was art covering the walls depicting different scenes of the Colorado mountains. It felt like some mix between an art gallery and a cozy yet huge home.