Chapter 9 - I'm So Grounded

"Oh god," I placed my head in my hands, not ready to face the wrath of my mom. She and I seldom fight, but I could feel the anger rolling off her in waves. I sooo did not want to have to deal with this right now, not after having just finished a perfect date with Oscar. 

"Lana, what should I do?" Oscar asked, his voice cracking just a little. 

"Nothing. The second I step out of this car, you should drive away and not come back until it's safe."

"Lana, I'm not going to do that. She's your mom. I want to meet her," he explained. 

"You want to meet her now?" I asked.

"Well, no, but I feel like she will hate me forever if I just drive off without saying anything," he explained. 

"LANA! Get out of the car, now!" My mom yelled, her hand on her hips. When she stands like that, you can bet your bottom she means business. 

"Let me try and talk to her first, okay? I can try and explain everything and calm her down." I took a deep breath and opened the door. My mom didn't even wait a second before she pulled me away from the car, slamming the door behind me in the process. She knows me too well because there was a 95% chance that I was about to jump back in and tell Oscar to floor it. 

"Mom..." I started, not even sure what I should say right now. 

"Lana Boyden, how dare you. How dare you go behind my back by going to that wretched high school. After all these years of dedicating my life to your education, this is how you thank me? Not to mention the fact that you've been out all night doing God knows what with him!" she jabbed her finger in the direction of Oscar. 

"MOM! Listen to me. I told you that if I ever want a chance of getting into Yale, then I need to have a more interesting resume! Every kid under the sun applying to Yale will have the same test scores and grades as me! If I want a chance to get in, then I need to stand out. I told you all of this over the phone! Remember?"

"Of course I remember! But that doesn't change the fact that you lied to me," she crossed her arms and huffed. "You've never lied like this to me, Lana. I don't even know who you are at this point. Now get inside. You are going to be calling your teacher and telling her that you will not be coming back to school."

"No! Mom, please! I love it there! I've made friends! Like real friends that I can actually talk to and hang out with." 

"I don't care. You know my rules. You are never allowed to be out all night without my permission, especially with people I've never met! Do you know how dangerous that is?"

"But I've known Oscar for years! He would never do anything to hurt me, mom. He loves me!" I wish that I could grab those words that just flew out of my mouth and cram them back in before she could hear them. 

A look of pure hurt flooded her eyes, "what do you mean years? How can he possibly love you? I've never heard you mention him before. Have you been going behind my back with this too?" she fired the questions at me like a firework.

"No! Well, not really. I can explain..." I fumbled for my words. I heard the car door open behind me and turned to find Oscar getting out of the car.

"Mrs. Boyden, I can explain everything," he was halfway around the front of his car when my mom held up her hand to stop him. 

"I think you should go home. This is between my daughter and me."

"But..."

"Don't. Go. I'll talk to you later," I said, pleading with my eyes for him not to make the situation worse.