Chapter 19 - Assembling the Revengers

"When are they getting here again?" My mom called down as I was frantically trying to clean the basement.

"7!" I yelled back.

"And what project is this for again?" she pestered.

"I told you, it's for the rock climbing team I started. Could you please just let me clean in peace!"

"Okay, jeez, it's not my fault you haven't learned to pick up after yourself," she chuckled.

Sighing, I looked around to make sure everything was in order. I wiped down the surface of the coffee table one more time, fluffed another throw pillow, and admired my work. For speed cleaning, this had to be a new record for me.

I went into my room and grabbed a stack of paper and a few pens if someone wanted to run down ideas. I pulled out a stack of post-it notes, too, just in case. I arranged them neatly on the coffee table and went through my mental checklist to ensure I had covered my bases.

I checked my phone for the time and noticed a few texts from Oscar.

❤️👟Oscar🧦❤️| 6:23 pm

Hey! I hope it's okay but I thought I would get to your place a little early and hang out with you.

❤️👟Oscar🧦❤️| 6:37 pm

Um, I hear your mom yelling about something... should I knock?

❤️👟Oscar🧦❤️| 6:39 pm

LANA!!!! I think your mom saw me through the window!!!

It was 6:50 now. "Uh oh," I whispered. I bolted up the stairs two at a time and found my boyfriend sitting at the kitchen countertop drinking tea with my mom like it was something they did together regularly.

"There she is!" my mom beamed, setting her mug down on the counter. "I was just telling Oscar about that time you got a comb stuck in your hair, and I had to cut it out. Should I go grab the pictures, Oscar?"

He was totally about to say yes until he caught sight of my glare and paused to think about his response, "um, maybe another time Mrs. Boyden."

"Oh please, dear," she waved him off, "call me mom."

"MOM!!"

She let out a wicked cackle and patted me on the head, "I'm just messing with him, hun. Oscar knew I was kidding." I shuddered as I heard her trail of giggles disappear into her bedroom.

I turned back to Oscar, and from the red blush leaving his dimpled cheeks, it's safe to say he had no idea she was kidding.

"Sorry about that. I didn't see your text message in time to save you from her," I grimaced and joined him in the kitchen.

"It's honestly fine. I really like your mom. We actually got a chance to talk about the surprise I have for you, which was great," he stood up from his stool and pulled me into a kiss. When the nerves in my brain finally started firing again, I pulled away from him and smiled, "so what's this surprise you've been talking about?"

Oscar rolled his eyes and bopped me on the nose, "nice try, My Goofball, but I'm not telling you. Not until I have all my ducks in a row and have talked through everything with our parents one more time."

"Ugh, fine, but it better be worth it," I bopped him in the nose in return, "although knowing you, I'm sure you are going to outdo yourself this time and raise the standard on all gifts in the future. You, sir, are about to create a very expensive relationship issue. You're aware of that, right?"

'Well, I have about 2 piggy banks left, so I think I will be just fine for now," he smirked.

"Whatever you say," I traced his adorable dimple with the pad of my thumb, completely enamored by him.