Chapter 5 - Explain Something To Me

"Guys?" I asked, trying to snap them out of their thought. It was like they had turned to stone, unable to move past the shock of seeing Drew with me. I knew they didn't like him, but this was just ridiculous. 

"Just scoot down," I motioned, nudging Mia to make room.

I took my seat and patted the cold bleacher next to me, and Drew looked at me like I had lost my mind before sitting down. You could snap the tension between them with a straw. It was so tightly wound. Drew handed me the plate of nachos which I proceeded to pass down to Trevor. 

Just when I thought I couldn't take the tension anymore, Mia leaned forward and looked Drew dead in the eyes, "your friends are assholes."

He looked right back at her with a glare to equal her own, "I know. And they aren't my friends anymore."

Mia raised her eyebrow at him, "so you aren't friends with the high school golden boy?"

He shook his head, dark hair falling over his eyes, "if you're referring to the gold-covered piece of shit, then no, I would say we aren't friends anymore."

Mia stared at him for a second before smirking and offering her hand, "Mia."

Drew smirked back and shook it, "Drew."

"Thanks for looking out for Lana," Mia poked me in the cheek, "she's not used to the big bad world of high school yet."

"Hey!" I smacked her hand away from my face and rubbed the spot she had poked. 

Drew chuckled, "I'm just glad she's finally come to her senses. Trying to make her see reason was like pulling teeth."

"She is sitting right here," I grumbled. 

"Well, thanks again," Mia said before turning her back to us to talk to Trevor and George in low whispers. 

We watched the game for a bit in uncomfortable silence, and I kept glancing at Trevor and George, who have yet to even speak to Drew. I knew that they had a bad history with him, and I was worried that I had ruined their night by inviting him to sit with us. 

Drew nudged me with his shoulder, "explain something to me."

"What?" I asked. I felt Mia's knees press into my legs as she turned into our conversation. She still had most of her walls up, but she was giving Drew a chance.

"Why did you believe Austin was into you? You kept saying that he might have his reasons, and I have been wondering what you meant by that."

"It's a complicated story," I shrugged my shoulders. 

He gave me a pointed look when I didn't try and explain further. 

"Oh, she has been emailing a guy anonymously for 7 years without knowing who he is. There's a whole thing with shoes and socks, and Austin has the same pair of shoes as her emailer. Lana basically just assumed that Austin was him and went with it," Mia explained. 

"You've been emailing someone you don't know for 7 years?" Drew questioned. 

I nodded my head.

"Oh yeah! They have been emailing for years, but the two dummies never allowed any names, so she had no idea who he was," Mia laughed. 

"Hold on a second. I have been asking Oscar to tell me who he is for years. He is the one that always said that it was better if we didn't know. Although apparently he's known about me this entire time," I grumbled. 

"Hold up, so the guy you have been emailing all this time has actually known who you were, and you didn't know who he was? That's crazy," he baffled, running his hand through his hair.