Day 9

Part two to the last one. Even in two parts,
it's really long.

  "Yes, I understand, Jia," I said through the phone.

  "I don't believe you understand at all. You've taken far too long, Alec."

  "I understand, yet he is a tricky target. You were right." She audibly sighed.

  "We know he's working for Valentine, we have no proof but it looks like his work. Get it done."

  "It's going to take more than-"

  "Alexander Lightwood." I flinched. "I expect you back here in a week. By then, Magnus Bane better be dead." She hung up and I just sat there for a while, processing everything.

  "Hey, Alec." Magnus walked into the room. "Who was that on the phone?" He swooped down to steal a kiss.

  "Just a friend from New York." I hated lying to him.

  "Ah. I'm going to take you out tonight. Would you like that?" He had this grace to him. It must be what makes him such a good killer.

  "I'd like that very much." He stole another kiss.

  "Get ready. We're leaving at seven." I've ruined this mission. All I had to do was get close to him so he would trust me, but it turned into something else. I had fallen in deeply in love with Magnus Bane. A notorious assassin. I'd do anything for him. Literally anything. I'm an assassin for crying out loud. But this wasn't supposed to happen. I was supposed to kill him and I could return to New York and live out my life. Now I'm not so sure I can do that. He means too much to me at this point. If I killed him, I might as well kill myself. That's what it'll feel like. Magnus is my boyfriend who I love, but I'm not sure how I'm going to get out of this situation.

  He took me out to this nice restaurant both of us like. In the six months that I've lived here I've learned some of he language. Enough that I can order in Indonesian without help. Magnus grabbed my hand from across the table and started rubbing his thumb over my knuckles. "You don't need to return to New York? Don't you have family?" I do, but my parents are dead to me. After I told them I was gay, they shut me out. That lead to me joining the Clave. My siblings are on some long mission from the Clave, so I'm not seeing them any time soon.

  "Everything I need is here with you." The night was going well until I caught the eye of a someone sitting at the table next to us. "Um, I'm going to the bathroom." He nodded and I quickly got out. The person from the table followed me. Once we were out of sight and earshot, I smacked his head. "Simon! What are you doing here!" Simon Lewis. The Clave's head computer hacker. He could hack into the CIA just for fun.

  "Were you holding hands with Magnus Bane? Weren't you sent here to kill him?"

  "Shut up and answer my question before I answer yours." He sighed. That seems to be everyone with me today.

  "Jia sent me to check up on you. To see what's taking you so long. Now I'm not sure if you're trying to kill Magnus Bane or bed him. Unless you already have."

  "Shut up! It doesn't matter, how much do you know?"

  "I'm not sure about him, but I know nothing. Alec, who is this?" Magnus came to look for me. By the Angel, nothing is going right.

  "Yeah, Alec. I'd like to get to know your friend too." Well fuck you too, Simon. Everything I wanted to say, I couldn't. I kept stuttering and struggling to get to words out. I'm getting confronted by Magnus, the exact opposite of what I wanted. Of course, some day I would have to tell him about my profession, and I would have to tell him that I know about his. That was all for another time in another place, not right now.