Truth be told no one knows what happened

"Ask away," Hagrid said.

"What were my parents like?" Harriet asked excitedly, a grin spreading across her face. She was going to find out who her family really was!

"Well," Hagrid said, "Your father was one of the most troublesome students Hogwarts ever had. Mischief was seemingly part of his morning routine. Your mother on the other hand was one of the brightest. Could cast almost every spell, she could. She was almost the opposite of your father. Quiet and well behaved in class."

"You said almost the opposite," Harriet remarked. "What did they have in common?"

Hagrid smiled. "They were the kindest and most loyal friends you could have wished for. That and they didn't let anyone mess with them." He shrugged. "In the end that was probably what got them killed."

"How did they die?" Harriet couldn't help asking. She didn't know if she wanted to know but she felt like she needed to.

"No one's entirely sure what happened, you see," Hagrid scratched his head, "Most believe it was a dark wizard who went as bad as you can go."

"Who?" Harriet enquired.

"You-know-who," Hagrid replied quietly as if someone was suddenly eavesdropping.

"Obviously I don't!" Harriet wrinkled her nose at the dissatisfactory answer.

"No one speaks his name," Hagrid whispered, "most people still live in fear that he'll return."

"What does that have to do with speaking his name?" Harriet was confused. "And where would he return from? Prison? Death? What's the story here?"

Hagrid sighed and began talking. "Years ago, your parents were part of a resistance against the dark forces. Your father was a top auror and your mother was the leader of one of the main forces helping muggle-borns like her escape them. You-know-who most likely killed them both and tried to kill you -"

"He tried to kill me!" Harriet was shocked and mildly offended. Who would kill a one year old baby? And what had she ever done to the guy?

"Yeah," Hagrid said grimly, "He tried to kill you an he couldn't."

"That doesn't explain why or the dissapearing act," Harriet remarked dryly. Hagrid obviously had a knack for leaving out information.

"When he cast the killing curse, it backfired on him," Hagrid finally - finally - told her. "Some say he died, others say he's still out there biding his time until he can make his return."

Harriet mulled things over. She had never heard the real story behind her mum and dad's death. She had considered a lot of options, just not this one.

"You still haven't told me the name." Harriet looked at Hagrid questioningly. He was shifting uncomfortably. All this because of a name?

"Okay," Hagrid gave in, "His name was V- V-"

"Would you rather write it down?" Harriet asked him. Mabye he had difficulty pronouncing it.

Hagrid shook his head. "Can't spell it," he said. Then after a deep, calming breath,"Alright - Voldemort."

"Voldemort?" Harriet was sure she'd misheard. The name sounded ridiculous.

"Yes, and don't make me say it again." Hagrid shook himself. "You best get some rest now," he told her, ending the conversation, "Lots to do tomorrow."

Harriet nodded. "Okay, goodnight."

She got up and curled up in a corner to go to sleep. Only then did she realise how heavy her eyelids were. Even after all the mildly shocking news she had just recieved, she fell asleep in minutes. Shortly after Hagrid's snores began to fill the hut.

Harriet's dreams drifted back to a place of happiness, with flying motorbikes, a wolf and laughter.