Detention and Gossip

Harriet knocked on the door. What was detention in a wizarding school like? Was she going to write lines? She had heard the caretaker mention something about shackles. The school wasn't that medieval though, right?

"Come in," Professor Snape's voice drifted through the door.

Harriet took another deep breath and pushed the door open. Snape finished placing some new potions on a shelf which, like may others was lined with glass bottles filled with different coloured liquids. Something was bubbling in the cauldron in the corner. He checked it before turning sharply to face her.

"Potter," he said. "You're on time."

Harriet didn't know whether she should respond. She just nodded.

"Take a seat." He ordered. "We need to talk. As you are probably already aware, your actions in the potions classroom have little excuse and you are in a lot of trouble."

Harriet nodded, shifting in the chair she was sitting on.

"Do you regret it?" He asked, analysing her.

Harriet took a moment to consider before she answered. She could either tell the truth and cash in a likely worse punishment than what was in store or she could lie. What was really the right option?

She studied the professor for a moment. He was impossible to read.

"No." She said, taking her chances with honesty. "I don't regret it. What he said about my friends and roommates was inexcusable. Just because someone's parents screwed up doesn't mean they will. By saying things like that you're actually more likely to push them on that path. I read it in a library book."

Snape narrowed his eyes at her. Harriet tried to stare him down.

Eventually he nodded shortly.

"Very well, Potter," he said, "You are no longer in trouble. You are however still in detention. Do you like to read?"

Harriet nodded, not sure where this was headed. Was this a trick question?

Snape stood up, went to a bookshelf, snatched a book and handed it to her.

"Your detention today will be spent reading pages one to seventeen and taking notes. You may use the parchement, quill and the ink on the desk. Begin."

Harriet opened up the book and got to reading the tiny print of '101 secrets to potions'. It was still larger lettering than Snape's handwriting.

She had gotten through pages one to seventeen and had taken notes of the important information and anything she found interesting faster than she had expected because, not an hour later, she was dismissed. Snape would send her the times for her other detention appointments after classes on the following days. Harriet was surprised to find herself looking forward to it. She hoped she could continue reading the book. She also thought she may have found one of her favourite teachers.

She believed she could look past the cold demeanour in favour of good literature taste.

She skipped back to the common room and sat down in a corner pulling out her homework. Pansy and Draco joined her in her work. They were done rather quickly. Pansy and Draco seemed to brimming with some sort of excitement.

Pansy turned to her, immediately after the last sentences were complete.

"Have you heard the news?" she asked.

"What news?" Harriet asked.

"Someone broke into Gringotts!" Pansy whispered excitedly. "I still can't believe it!"

"What?" Harriet asked. Had she misheard?

"I have the article here," Draco said importantly and began to read:

"GRINGOTTS BREAK-IN LATEST

Investigations continue into the break-in at Gringotts on 31 July, widely believed to be the work of Dark wizards or witches unknown.

Gringotts goblins today insisted that nothing had been taken, so we can ease minds worried about their riches. The only vault that was searched had in fact been emptied the same day.

"But we're not telling you what was in there, so keep your noses out if you know what's good for you," said a Gringotts spokesgoblin this afternoon."

He finished with a smirk at the look on Harriet's face.

"Stop feeling important!" Pansy hissed, elbowing him in the ribs. "All you did was read."

"That Gringotts break-in happened on my birthday! It might've been happening while I was there!" Harriet blurted out before she could insert her brain-to-mouth filter.

The other two stared at her.

"Which Vault was broken into?"Pansy asked, turning to Draco.

"It doesn't say. But I bet what they were searching for must have been really valuable because only someone really desperate or stupid would break into Gringotts!" Draco said.

"Probably both." Pansy said. "They keep dragons."

Harriet's attention flew to her in milliseconds.