Hop in witch we're going shopping!

Harriet woke up early and streched. Sleeping in a corner had not been a good idea. She kept her eyes closed for a moment, savouring the dream she had had.

She was disturbed by an incessant rapping noise. Annoyed, Harriet opened her eyes. An owl was tapping at the window. She got up to let it in. It swooped over to Hagrid and dropped a newspaper on his face. Then it proceeded to attack his coat. Grumbling, he got up and gave it 5 bronze coins. Then he turned to Harriet.

"Morning!" he said brightly.

"Good morning!" Harriet grinned. She was leaving the Dursleys!

"Well," Hagrid said, "Best be off then. Lot's to buy and do!"

"Yeah!" Harriet cheered before realizing a tiny problem. "Erm, quick question. How am I supposed to pay for all of it. I mean Vernon won't so... how?" she asked.

"Don't worry about that," said Hagrid, standing up and scratching his head. "D'yeh think yer parents didn't leave yeh anything?"

"Petunia said they never took their money to a proper bank." Harriet said. It had been one of her aunts favourite arguments to emphasize what kind of nutjobs she thought Harriets parents had been. Well, her father had gotten the worst of it. It was obvious petunia had despised him.

"First stop for us is Gringotts, wizard's bank. Your parents would never have left their money in a muggle bank. To insecure." Hagrid told her, checking his pocket watch, "Grab yer cake. We'll have to eat on the way. We're late as it is."

A few hours later, after a tedious train ride and the stickiest chocolate cake for breakfast, they arrived in London. Harriet had practically memorized the equipment list.

"So, Where do we buy all this?" Harriet asked, wondering what kind of a store sold crushed beetles, powdered unicon horn and boomslang skin. It wasn't like you could get it at Tesco, could you?

"Don't worry. I know where to go," Hagrid told her, reassuringly.

A few minutes later they walked into a pub called the leaky cauldron. It was a grubby looking place with a dusty and very alchoholic smell. Everyone seemed to know Hagrid because they smiled and waved at him.

The barman reached for a glass saying ,"the usual Hagrid? "

"Can't Tom, I'm here on Hogwarts business. Harriet needs to get her things." Hagrid said clapping her on the shoulder causing her knees to buckle.

The barman, Tom glanced at her. He did a double take.

"Bless my soul. It's Harriet Potter!" he whispered, rushing around the bar and shaking her hand enthusiastically, "Welcome back ms. Potter! Welcome back!" he said.

Everyone sprang to life, rushing to greet her. A witch named Doris Crockford kept coming back for more handshakes. Harriet was complletely overwhelmed and responded as politely as she could. There was too much attention on her. It was like she was famous!

She also met one of her future teachers (Professor Quirrel if she remembered correctly ). Nervous guy, stuttered a lot, somehow he seemed suspicious. He kept adjusting his turban too. Not that there was anythging wrong with that, it just irritated her.

Hagrid ushered them out the back door into a small backyard surrounded by walls. Hagrid walked to the one at the end. He tapped the wall three times with the point of his umbrella.

The brick he had touched quivered. In the middle, a small hole appeared. It grew wider and wider 

A second later, they were facing an archway large enough even for Hagrid. It led onto a cobbled street that twisted and turned out of sight.

"Welcome," said Hagrid, smiling at Harriet's awestruck face, "to Diagon Alley. "

The place was full of witches and wizards. Some in pointy hats, some in jeans and T-shirts and some in long flowing robes decorated with elaborate beadwork and probably worth more than Harriet's life.

 There were elaborate and slightly over-decorated buildings on either side of the street, some reaching for the sky while others were two stories high at most. Flowers grew on the balconies and the stone creature decorations climbed along the rooftops. It was beautiful in it's own chaotic and magical way.

"Come on then!"Hagrid said brightly placing a hand on her shoulder and steering her through the crowd, "Let's get your money and go shopping."