Chapter Twelve | Suzie, Do You Copy?

The next day was the day that Dustin was coming home. I was excited to see him, we all were. So, we had a plan.

It was to completely ignore his walkie talkie calls for the day and be at his house, throwing a surprise 'welcome home' party.

Eleven, Mike, Will, Lucas, Max, and I were all at his house. We knew where the spare key was to his house was. Can you guess? Under the matt. I need to tell that boy to hide it somewhere where it's less obvious.

We were going to scare him by El using her powers to move his robotic toys into the living room, then scare him.

It was around 12.00, which means he should be home any moment now. We had made him a welcome home banner, too.

Everyone got into position when we heard the car pull into the driveway.

We all hide behind the wall that leads into his lounge. Not all of us could fit between the wall, so I stand in front of Will, pressing my back against him slightly. I could hear his breathing.

We heard Dustin enter his room and this was the time when El was supposed to her magic, which she did. I could tell because her nose is bleeding.

I looked over at Will, our heads were so close to each other. My heart raced if anything. Not because I was nervous of seeing Dustin again for the first time in a month, no, but because Will was this close to me. This was the closest we'd ever been together.

"It's just a dream." I hear Dustin speak, making me smile. It's good to hear that doofus's voice. "You're dreaming." Max inched closer to Lucas, which meant he had obviously gone into the lounge.

"Now!" Mike whispers to El, who then stopped the robotics. We all sneak around the corner, Dustin had his back to us, checking his toys in confusion.

Lucas was holding the sign, I was beginning to get giddy now. I then hold up my fingers when Dustin stands up, I counted them down and Lucas stands in front with the sign.

We then blow the party noises, but, it backfired. Dustin had turned around, screaming in fright and sprayed hairspray into Lucas's eyes who also screamed.

"Oh, my God!"

-

I watched Lucas try to scrub the spray out from his eyes, he kept wailing that it burnt. Which, I don't blame him, because it would burn if someone sprayed hairspray directly into your eyes, wouldn't it?

"Better?" Max asked Lucas as Lucas comes back from the tap.

"Still see things,I se" Lucas stated. He blinked rapidly. "Is that a new zit?"

Max's eyes harden, offended that her boyfriend would point out her zits like that. "What is wrong with you?" Max then puts his head back under the tap.

"I was just asking!" Lucas yells.

I then walked into Dustin's bedroom, where Dustin, Mike, El, and Will were. "I call it; the Forever Clock," Dustin announced. There was a spinning wheel. "All right? Powered by wind. Very useful in the apocalypse." He gave it to Will. "Then, I give you... the slammer." He was showing us the inventions he made at camp.

El shied away when Dustin brings it closer to them, it was basically a hammer that could move. "Pretty neat, huh?" Dustin continued, laughing. He puts 'the slammer' down. "But this... this is my masterpiece." He brought out a duffle bag we all bend down when he placed it on the ground. "I would like you to meet... Cerebro."

I looked down at the pile of junk that didn't look like anything. "What exactly are we looking at here?" Mike basically speaks my thoughts.

"An unassembled one-of-a-kind battery-powered radio tower." Dustin proudly announced.