Chapter Sixteen | Going Down

"Erica, do you copy?" Robin asked a few hours later through the walkie talkies. Dustin her his walkie talkie/hat thingy to Erica and we have mine here with us, at the Russian place. I have no name for it, but we'll come up with something better.

The mall had officially shut down, leaving Erica left in the building. Erica was about to climb through the air ducts.

"Hm-mm, I copy," Erica speaks over the walkie talkie. Steve, Dustin, Robin, and I were all on the roof of the building, watching down at the gate. "Are you nerds in position?"

"Yeah, we're in position," Robin confirms. "It's all quiet here, so you've got the green light."

"Greenlight, Rodger that." Erica answers. "Commence Operation Child Endangerment."

"Can we maybe not call it that?" Robin tells Erica.

"See you on the other side," Erica paused. "Nerds." Long pause. "All right, nerds. I'm there." Forty-five minutes later, Erica has finally made it to the location.

"Do- do you see anything?" Robin stuttered.

"Yeah, I see those boring boxes you're so excited about," Erica informed us and we all looked at each other.

"Any guards?"

"Negative," Erica responds.

"Booby traps?"

"If I could see them, they'd pretty shit traps, wouldn't they?" Erica pointed out and I nodded my head.

"Thank you for that," Robin responded sarcastically.

"I'm in," Erica speaks five seconds later.

Steve covered his face with his hands. "Oh, god." The door then finally opens and there stands Erica, with one hand on her hip.

"Free ice cream for life," Erica reminded, looking up at us. We all then hurried down to the box.

-

With a knife and the door closed; Steve cuts open the box, we were finally getting to see what's inside those stupid boxes.

Steve opens up at the box quickly, inside the box was another box, but like a metal box, if that makes sense. Steve then grabbed the top and unlocked it, air hissing as it unlocks. He pulled off the box top.

There securely sat in was four other handles that we have to unlock. Steam was coming from it. "That's definitely not Chinese food," Steve commented. He then looked over at us. "Uh, maybe you guys should, you know, stand back."

"No," Dustin exclaimed. However, Robin, Erica, and I all stand back.

"Just... just step back, okay?"

"No," Dustin shakes his head.

"Step back, seriously," Steve glared at Dustin.

"No, no!" Dustin cried out. Wow, this is some type of Disney love shit. "If you die, I die."

Steve stared at Dustin for a bit. "Okay," he agreed and I snort in amusement. I crossed my arms and waited for them both to die.

He unlocked one of the locks and pulled a tube that had green glowing chemicals in it. "What the hell?" I murmured.

"What is that?" Robin questioned after me.

The box that we were in then rumbles and shakes, making my eyes go wide. "Was that just me, or did the room move?" Dustin questioned allowed.