Chapter Twenty-Two | The Never-Ending Story

Steve's driving scared me. Just a bit. He was going full speed down the road. We finally reached Starcourt and there were the others at the car outside.

I noticed Billy's car driving straight towards them making my heart pound. Nancy was standing there with a gun, shooting at Billy's car.

"Steve!" I yelled desperately and he speeds up even faster.

"I know! I know!" Steve yells back at me, it was a little bit of a blur to me what happened next. Steve drives straight into Billy, knocking him out of the way from the others.

My head bangs against the seat and I gasped, holding my head. I let out a few pants my heart racing once again.

Nancy gasped, looking over at us. The others were in the car. I looked over at Billy's car, it turns into flames.

"Oh, my God," I mutter in shock.

"Are you guys okay?" Steve looked over at me and Robin.

Robin looked over at Steve. "Ask me tomorrow?"

"Or next year," I add in before climbing out of the car. I stopped when I heard a loud screeching inside. For a split minute, I'd forgotten about the Mind Flayer.

Robin gasped and the stand up in the car. "Holy shit." The Mind Flayer climbs over Starcourt and my eyes widen.

It leats out a loud screech at us. The car honks and pulls over to us. "Get in!" Nancy yells at us and I sprinted my way towards the car, Robin lets me go in as she climbs out of the car and Steve follows.

"Go, go, go, go!" Lucas ushered us. Will was in the back and I quickly climbed over to him, Robin and Steve joined us, squishing in before they shut the door and Jonathan drives off.

I looked behind us, the Mind Flayer was coming for us. And if Jonathan doesn't hurry the hell up; it will get us.

I gulped and laced my hands with Will naturally. I cuddled up to Will, feeling exhaustion now. I slowly realised that Max wasn't here.

"Where's Max?" I demanded suddenly.

"She's okay, Aspen," Will reassured me. "She's with Mike and El back at Starcourt." I relaxed a bit, chewing on my lower lip. At least with that thing chasing behind us, there's no way it'll be able to reach her.

It's been a while, my head resting on Will's shoulder, watching the monster chase us. It really doesn't want to give up, does it?

"Dusty-bun, you copy?" A girl's voice speaks over the radio.

"I copy, Suzie-poo," my eyes widen at Dustin's voice. Suzie. "It sounds much better now, thanks."

Steve, Robin, and I glanced at each other. "Suzie," we all speak in sync.

"Okay, so, listen, do you know Planck's constant?" Dustin continued over the radio.

"Do you know the Earth orbits the sun?" Suzie retorts jokingly.

"Okay, so I know it starts with two sixes, and then a... w-what is it?" Dustin asks.

"Okay, let me just be clear on this." Suzie started and I groaned. Just give us the goddamn numbers! "I haven't heard from you in a week, and now you want some mathematical equation that you should know so you can... save the world?"

"Sounds about right now let's move on, shall we? Give Dusty-bun the god damn numbers." I murmur in frustration. Will chuckled beside me.

"Suzie-poo, I promise, I will make it up to you as soon as possible," Dustin says.