Couple Goals

"Going so soon?" Mrs. Shuler smiled as we all walked downstairs. "I didn't know you were here. Are you hungry?"

I look over at Charles and he shrugs. "Sure." He walks into the kitchen like he lives here and I shook my head as I followed him.

We sat down at the table along with Oliver, Sam and Mrs. Shuler.

There were taco stuff in the middle of table and Mrs. Shuler smiled at us. "Help yourself with whatever."

"Thank you, Mrs. Shuler." Charles smiled.

We all started making a plate. I watched Charles pile things on his tacos and I smiled as I watched Sam do the same thing.

I made a soft taco and made sure everything was comfy as I folded it and took a bite. I look down at my plate and saw stuff falling from the bottom.

Charles had three hard tacos and was stuffing his face. I watched him until he looks over at me and smiles. I chuckle until I heard Mrs. Shuler.

"So, Kenna," I look over at her as she was looking at me. "does your parents know that you're here?"

I swallowed the food in my mouth and saw Charles look at me in the corner of my eye. "Actually," I stopped to watch her stare at me. "my mom passed away three years ago and my dad left me and my brother when we were younger."

Her face fell. "I'm so sorry."

I nod. "It's alright." I look up to see Sam watching me for a moment before looking away.

"So, you live with some other relative?" Mrs. Shuler asks.

I nod. "Yes, my brother."

She smiles. "Do you live around here?"

"A few streets over, actually." I caught Sam watching me, again.

We ate in silence for a moment before Charles spoke. "This is so good, Mrs. Shuler."

I look over at him. "Dude." He looks up and I chuckle. "Really?"

"What?" He asks, clearly confused.

Mrs. Shuler slightly laughed as she wiped her mouth. "Thank you, Charles."

I shook my head as I took the last bite of my taco. I wiped my mouth then took a sip of my drink.

After everyone was done eating, Sam was standing up throwing trash away. I look over at Mrs. Shuler and smiled. "I love your house."

"Yeah, it's so pretty." Charles said.

Mrs. Shuler smiled. "Thank you. I've had it for years."

"How do you afford something like this?" Charles asks.

I slap his arm. "Shut up."

Mrs. Shuler smiles then speaks. "So, what brings you both here? Seeing Oliver?"

I nod and caught Sam glancing at me. "Yes, ma'am. Project."

Oliver gave me a confused look but quickly caught on.

We talked for a little while until Charles and I said our goodbyes. We walked to the door with Mrs. Shuler following.

"It was nice having you here. You should hang out sometime."

Charles looks at me then back at her. "That's not weird for you?"

She shook her head. "Of course not." She smiles. "You both are Oliver's friends."