We lived in the most crowded part of New York, so it was never quiet. But after a while, everyone got used to the normal roudiness of the city.

It was February 4th when I first saw him. I was walking through the park, watching the mild sunlight bounce off the ice coating everything. And there he was. All alone, sitting on the swing.

He was dressed in pure black. A thin black hoodie despite the cold, skinny jeans and to top it al off, a black beanie nestled on top of his unruly dark, shaggy hair.

Maybe it was 'cause we both seemed alone on this supposedly love filled day, or just his appearance, but I walked over to him and sat on the swing to his right.

"You dont seem very cheerful for a Valentine's day," I said.

The boy looked up and the first thing I notcied is that he seemed about my age. Maybe a one or two years younger, give or take.

The second thing, was his bloodshot eyes.

"Does the phrase 'don't talk to strangers' ring a bell?" He said sarcastically. "For all you know, I may be a kidnapper or a drug dealer."

I rolled my eyes. "You dont give off the 'I'll kidnap you and take you for ransom' type of vibe."

He scowled and turned away from me. "Well then what do you want?"

"Nothing. You just seemed lonely."

"Well if you must know, I'm not lonely."

"Oh, really?" I raised an eyebrow showing my amusement.

"Yes. And even if I were alone, I wouldnt rely on a total stranger."

"Alright, alright I give up." I stuck out my hand waiting for him to shake it. "Percy Jackson, New Yorker for life, a wannabe skater with an unhealthy obsession of blue food."   

Maybe it was just me, but I would've sworn I saw him crack a small smile.

"Nico di Angelo. Italian to the core, gay, and with an unhealthy craving for pop tarts all the time."

He took my hand and shook it. Despite his slightly scrawny figure, he had a strong grip.

Once he let go of my hand, a question popped into my head.

"Wait. Why did you say you were gay?"

"Well it would be rude to lie, now wouldn't it."

"Well yeah, but-"

"-because if I say it now, you have the opportunity of walking away with no strings attached." He looked straight at me with his bloodshot eyes. "And if you stay, a friendship wont be built on a base of lies."

Just by looking at him, I knew he's been hurt this way before. But something about that made me want to help him even more.

I grinned. "Well then we're just two guys still really close 'cause we're definitely not straight."

"So you're-"

"- Gay? Yeah."

He seemed at a loss for words, but the look fit him nicely.

"How long have you been out here?" I asked. "You look like you could use a coffee. It'd be my treat."

He hesitated but reluctantly nodded as I turned around and we headed towards the nearest coffee shop we could find.

A gust of breeze had swept in making everything colder than it already was; so when the café was in sight, I grabbed on to his hand and ran for it.