It didn't take me long to realize what had happened before I got up, told Emily I was leaving and that we could maybe hang out another time, and then making a run for the door.

But sadly, by the time I got outside, there was no trace of him on the street.

"Dammit," I muttered before pulling out my phone and clicking on his number.

It rang five times before I got voicemail.

"Hey, Nico you good? You ran out and I'm worried. Did I do something wrong? If I did I'm sorry and I didn't mean to; I sometimes say bad things without meaning to. Just... I hope we're still friends. Please call me back."

I hung up and sighed. If he ever did get that, I'm not sure. 

I slowly made my way back towards the apartment complex where I lived with my mom and stepdad, but my mind flooded with thoughts of the boy I had just met, and whether he was ok. 

~ ~ ~ ~

I didn't hear from his until two days later.

I was in my 3rd period of the school day when I got a text from him.

Nico: hey sorry for running out on u two days ago

Nico: I had to get somewhere

Percy: nah its fine. Maybe we can meet up somewhere?

Nico: well I mean I'm at school rn but I feel like skipping the rest of the day so how bout it

I don't know what came over me, but for some reason he seemed much more important than any school work this shitty school had to offer.

Percy: Bell's gonna ring in like 20 mins here

Percy:I'll meet you at the cafe from two dahs ago in 30 

Percy: days*

Nico: 👌👌

Nico: cya there Jackson

I put down my phone with a from still evident on my face.

"Mr. Jackson!" Exclaimed my teacher. "I would love if you would at least attempt to pay attention."

"Right. Sorry, Miss. It won't happen again."

"Mhm," she said clearly not convinced, but I didn't care.

Time seemed to move even slower, but the bell finally rang. I dashed downstairs and slipped out the front doors- no staff noticing due to the waves of students flooding through the hallways.

I breathed in the polluted air, leaving the hell-bounded school behind as I sprinted all the way to the cafe.

~ ~ ~ ~

I bent down, trying to catch my breath from my run before entering the store.

Nico sat in the same place he had two days ago, looking down at his phone with a frown; not even noticing my entrance.

I silently made my way over, sitting in my designated spot across from him.

"Hey," I said still a little breathless.