The Path of Pain

Deep breaths, deep breaths.

In, out.

In, out.

Repeat.

That's what Sophie had been telling herself for the last five minutes as she stood before the grand Everglen gates. 

Suddenly Biana burst through the large front doors of Everglen and rushed up to the gate, quickly opening them so Sophie could step into the beautiful property.

"I am so sorry I am late," Biana said, out of breath. "I was trying to persuade Fitz to eat lunch but he gently told me to go away and continued to stare at the wall in front of him. Mom and Dad are really worried."

Sophie sighed and looked down. "This is all my fault."

"Hush, Sophie," Biana insisted letting Sophie into the house and leading her up the stairs. "In no way is this your fault it is Keefe and Fitz's faults alone. Don't blame yourself."

"Fitz? How is it Fitz's fault?"

"He must've been thinking seriously negative thoughts for a silly kiss to get him to become this bad."

"Hmm. And what about Keefe? You sounded like you didn't think it was his fault."

Bianca laughed a little before replying, "oh no. It is mainly his fault. I, in no way, think what he did was right. However, I did talk to him and he does have a reason behind what he did, so at least he wasn't a total jerk. Don't get me wrong, he is still a jerk for doing that."

Sophie smiled, but her smile soon disappeared when they reached Fitz's door.

"Here we are," Biana said quietly. "You... you don't mind if I come in, do you?"

"Of course not. He's your brother, after all."

Bianca smiles  and they carefully opened the door and walked in. Biana stayed near the door, giving Sophie some space with Fitz. She walked over to Fitz, Fitz not saying a word.

He had his eyes on her, though, so she knew he saw her and was aware of her presence.

"Hello, Fitz," Sophie said calmly. "How are you doing?"

"Why are you here?" he asked quietly. There was emotion in his face, but only sadness. He wasn't emotionless, at least.

"Because I care about you."

"Do you?"

"Fitz, of course I do. I am your Match, remember? What you saw was merely half of the story."

Fitz shrugged. "I just doesn't feel like you care about me. Sophie, I tried so hard, so hard, to take you on good dates and bake you stuff and spend tons with you and not rush things and it just breaks my heart to see that all being thrown away when I see you kiss my best friend."

Ouch. Okay, just breathe, Sophie.

Just because he said his heart is broken doesn't mean it is.

"I am really sorry, truly. But, Keefe kissed me. Not the other way around. Plus, you wouldn't even let me explain myself."

Fitz's face twisted into a different emotion: anger. When he talked his voice was louder and slightly deeper. "Sure, blame it all on me."

"Fitz, that's not what I meant-"

"Sophie, it... it hurts when you're here. Can you... can you please leave?"

Fitz said it so politely with such innocence, that Sophie wanted to melt right there and tell him yes, yes, she would do whatever made him feel better.