The Keefster

Knock knock.

Sophie listened to the hollow sound of her knock on Candeshade's door.

The door opened, but it wasn't Keefe.

"Well, to what do I owe the pleasure of your visit, Miss Foster?" Lord Cassius says.

"Where is Keefe?" 

"He hasn't come here in years. He isn't staying at one of your guys's houses? I thought he was staying with Dex at Rimeshire?"

Keefe was in fact drying at Rimeshire with Dez — as they both liked to experiment with chemistry and whatnot — but Sophie knew Keefe hadn't been there in days because she had hailed Dex earlier.

"Umm, yeah, I mean he is still staying at Rimeshire. I just couldn't find him there that's all. I was just wondering if he was here."

Sophie knew Keefe wouldn't want his father concerned about him or involved in his life.

"Oh, okay then. Well, if you will excuse me Miss Foster, I must get going."

"Of course," Sophie answered politely. After their conversation, Sophie was starting to think Keefe had run away.

The last time he ran away he turned to the Neverseen. But that didn't last long. He ended up coming right back.

Wait...

The last time Keefe ran away he hid in Alvar's old hideout! Keefe better be there, Sophie thought.

Sophie quickly leapt there and heard rustling from inside the treehouse. Sophie climbed the ladder and found herself inside an Amazon treehouse. It was still a mansion by human standards, but in a tree! It was spectacular.

"Keefe?" Sophie calmed out.

Keefe rounded a corner and stopped when he saw Sophie.

"What....? What are you doing here?"

He was a mess. Disheveled, flat hair and large bags under his eyes consumed him.

"We need to talk."

Keefe looked at his feet but nodded and led Sophie to a couch where they sat down.

"Look Sophie. I am so, so incredibly sorry.i know what I did was wrong and immoral and absolutely awful. I know I screwed up big time. I heard about Fitz. How is he doing?"

"He is back to normal. He was unconscious for a couple hours after I healed him, but he is his normal self now."

Keefe nodded. "That's good."

There was a moment of awkward silence before Sophie spoke. "Keefe, about what I said-"

"It's okay," Keefe interrupted. "I deserved it. All of it."

"And I agree that you deserved to be yelled at. Truly. But what I said wasn't true and therefore unfair. I know you have struggled for some years to feel wanted, accepted. I know that. And I purposefully opened that wound back up and humiliated you in front of everyone. I am so, so sorry Keefe."

"It's okay, I really did deserve it. I am so selfish. I am sorry I ruined your night, Sophie."

"It brought Fitz and I closer together. No apologies needed."

Keefe nodded again.

"How are you doing?" Sophie asked.

"I've been better. I feel awful about what I did. It was stupid anyway."

"Why did you kiss me?"

"Well... when you first came into the Lost Cities four years ago, I thought you were so brave. And cute. You were really cute. A year later and you knew my biggest secrets that no one else did. I felt a connection with you, one that I haven't had with anyone. Ever. I thought you were 'the one.' I knew you had feelings for Fitz though so I simply ignored mine and didn't act on my feelings. And then you and Fitz became a couple and I knew it was over. You wanted to be Matches and I knew I didn't have a chance. So I decided on Linh. I felt like she was the only one who could really understand me, next to you of course. So I gave it a shot with her: we kissed and it felt like nothing I've ever felt before. Ever. I was so sure if Linh when we kissed. I never thought  about you. I told Linh about how I felt about you and she was mad that I told her AFTER we kissed. She told me she couldn't be with me until I sorted out who I liked. I really wanted to be with her, but I needed confirmation I didn't like you anymore. So... I kissed you. I didn't feel anything super special, so I told Linh I could be with her. She told me that she was fine, as long as I talked with you first. I was scared you would hate me so I  decided to hide here."