𝟬𝟬. the devil's bargain

PROLOGUE
the darkness must be present

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

     𝐀urora Jane Wilder. A young girl who mainly steals the attention of certain people, immoral people, mostly boys, and men. A girl who never really annoyed someone because of how she always looked. They never really paid attention to what escaped from her mouth, and always looked past her words.

     And Aurora Jane Wilder hated it. She hated everything her terrible life had come into. 

     With a deadbeat mother who uses her only daughter for her own expenses, and a home that felt more like a prison. Aurora was trapped. She was always under her mother's control. She was always told what to do, and she just continued to obey because the consequences were worse than anyone could imagine. But being sold to men with hungry eyes was probably the worst thing out of all of it.

     She wanted nothing but to get out of her own mother's touch. To escape from her desires and the wrath after. Aurora wanted to be free. She wanted to be able to converse with normal people and have fun like any other teenager out there. But the thing was, she was anything but normal. Quite far from the word itself.

     The day she lost everything was the day she grew to be the person that her mother never wanted or expected her to be. She didn't want anything in this world other than to get all of her innocence back. Something that had been stripped away from her. Physically and mentally. She didn't deserve any of that. Everybody knew that, but nobody did anything.

     But then one day, she did.

GOTHAM CITY
2 YEARS AGO

     A thirteen-year-old girl, skin almost as pale as snow and luscious crimson red hair that seemed to look brighter when the moonlight shone over her, stood outside a beat-down wooden door. Her eyes held a different story. Dull ocean blue eyes that always seemed to go unnoticed by many. The glint in her eyes got lost when she was despoiled by horrible men she barely knew.

     Aurora plastered a fake smile on her face as she got on her usual façade. Just like her dear mother always told her to do. But she could barely lift the corner of her lips, let alone smile.

     The mother of the young girl roughly grabbed the sleeves of her dusky red jacket that she always wore. Hera never bought her a new one. She doesn't like spending her money on someone as unimportant as her, or as she deemed so. Aurora tried to wriggle against her wicked mother's tight grip as she harshly tried to get the pitiful dusky red jacket off her—unfortunately—daughter.

     "Get this off you and get on it with it!" Hera hissed. She didn't obey. The last thing she knew, a hand cut through the air, hitting her right in the face. "Stop being stubborn!"

     Aurora flinched, her eyes shutting momentarily. She almost didn't want to open them again. Because underneath the thick jacket was the very revealing clothing Hera made her wear, and she hated it with her whole heart. She felt so uncomfortable. Unsafe. But when had she ever felt safe? She couldn't even remember laughing with her mother, or father, or eating around the dining table in peace.

     "Okay." Her voice cracked as she spoke quietly, vulnerability laced in her tone.

     Hera nodded highly in satisfaction before shoving her daughter towards a room where all the disgrace happens. Aurora gulped, the same sickening feeling of nervousness running through her veins. Her whole body almost shook in fear for she knew what was about to come for her for the hundredth time. She entered the dimly lit room, taking timid steps, her eyes drawn to the dirty floor.