𝟬𝟲. the parting glass

CHAPTER SIX
he who speaks does not know

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

     𝐀fter that small episode, the crew including Rachel, went back to the dining area to continue their feast, only this time, the Chief was there. Aurora was quiet the whole time the Chief spoke to Rachel, forming a somewhat normal conversation with her, constantly slipping into the topic of her abilities every now and then. 

     Other than that, Aurora doesn't even know what happened after she lost consciousness of herself. The only thing she could remember was seeing Gar after the demon left her. Although from the looks on their faces everytime they glanced at her, she could tell her demon probably did something that unnerved then.

     Chief went through an explanation about what he does, saying something about helping people that others have given up on. Aurora listened in silence. She was a little surprised. I mean, who wouldn't? After all those times she spent her days locked up inside the mansion━she never really knew what his real intentions were. I mean, she knew she was troubled and needed to be saved, but not the kind of saving he does.

     It was still a mystery to her, but not for so long.

    "And lastly, Aurora here..." Chief sent her a smile, which she returned with a small fake one. "She was unique but alone, and with my kind heart, I offered her a home."

     "So, you all just live here?" Rachel asked, her eyebrows furrowing in curiosity.

     "This isn't simply a sanctuary, Rachel," Chief explained. "It's an incubation chamber, an experiment. The work I do on them will push medical science forward decades in a matter of years. What's happening here will one day save thousands, even millions, of lives."

     Aurora frowned a little. An experiment? That sounded so wrong. Maybe he was right, maybe he was wrong. Or something worse could happen to them if he continues his experimentation. It was only a matter of time before something went wrong. Nothing was perfect. She gulped slightly when he said something about taking some tests. Perhaps, she wanted to know what she was and how she was able to do all these things, but then again, the other half of her doesn't want to.

     "Rachel, you're not alone."

      Aurora lied on another bed set next to Rachel. The teenage girls were both tightly strapped on it, which made them uncomfortably shift against the leather straps. It wasn't the most ideal, but I supposed it was necessary.

     "Does it have to be so tight?" Rachel voiced out her thoughts while Chief strapped her in the bed.

    "Yes," Chief said. "This ability you two possess is likely tied to your nervous system. Trying to analyze it could trigger some physical movements. I don't want you two getting hurt."

     Aurora's eyes landed on Gar who was sitting near a table with an unsure feeling bubbling in his guts. He was constantly glancing at the two girls, his eyebrows furrowed, and he was anxiously fiddling with anything he could hold.

     "Chief, are you sure about this?" Gar asked hesitantly.

      "This is a relatively simple procedure, given what I've dealt with before," Chief said calmly. Then he gestured to the boy to get his case in the drawers beside him. "Bring me my case."

     "Why?" Gar grew alarmed, but he remained in his seat, looking at him with pure reluctance. "What are you gonna do?"

     "You are here to assist me, Garfield, not to question me. Understood?" Chief said sharply, and the two girls shared a look with each other before looking back at their green-haired friend with some kind of worry.