𝟬𝟴. counterpart

CHAPTER EIGHT
the moon knows all her secrets

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

     𝐀 sickly smile appeared on her pale lips when she turned around and faced the violent scene before her. Despite the dark hallway, Kory had sensed her presence before she made herself known. It left an unnerving shudder through her soul. The woman grunted, struggling against the rope tied around her neck as the two kids dragged her along the hallway. They were strong. Stronger than normal.

     "Aurora!" Kory yelled. "Get out of here!"

     Aurora's brows knitted, watching the scene before her like nothing wrong was happening. She didn't say anything but she trudged towards them, making the two kids stop in their tracks, sharing a look of alarm with each other.

     The male nodded at his sister, and he stood up to face her, a smug expression on his face. Aurora cocked an eyebrow, curiously staring at the boy. He didn't seem human at all. Just like the girl. The smile on her face grew terrifyingly wider as he neared her, and he had no idea what he was about to get himself into.

     She looked to the side, seeing a familiar green hair running around in the parking lot through the broken windows. She blinked. Like something snapped in her mind. She didn't notice the glare the boy had sent her before he threw a hard punch toward her face. But she didn't even need to look, and she hastily stepped aside, avoiding his sucker punch.

     "Huh." Aurora frowned a little, almost mockingly, and she slightly cracked her neck as she looked straight into his eyes, a faint smirk replacing her frown.

      The boy shifted uneasily on his foot. He gritted his teeth and stepped forward, but Aurora had beaten him to it. She grabbed ahold of his cheeks, lifting him up on his feet, and the boy's eyes widened in fright. His mind flashed with terrible, terrible things, and Aurora smiled widely. Her eyes almost fluttered in satisfaction, feeling his fear, running through her veins.

     Then she let go, and the boy dropped to the floor. His limbs bent the opposite way. She exhaled lightly, feeling more relaxed than ever, and stepped over his unconscious body.

     Kory watched her cautiously. "Rory?"

     Her head snapped towards her, and Kory almost stumbled back. She smiled innocently, but the woman already saw through her false façade. This wasn't Rory. This was something else.

     Before she could say anything else, Kory tensed when she heard the two kids get up behind them. Meanwhile, Aurora remained unfazed, the latter trying to ignore the fact that this wasn't the shy and sweet girl from before. The male let out a battle cry and launched toward them, but Aurora simply stepped aside, letting him stumble upon Kory. The woman fought off the boy and proceeded to throw him down the set of stairs, doing the same thing to the girl.

     "Let's go." Kory tugged her arm, but Aurora remained on her ground and lifted her brows at her. She frowned at her. "Rory?"

     "Rory?" The red-haired girl repeated, gazing curiously at the woman. The name almost sounded so foreign on her tongue.

     "Snap out of it." Kory flicked her fingers in front of her face, looking more frustrated as the clock ticked. "Aurora, we have to go."

     This time, she flashed her bright green eyes at her, and Aurora felt her own twitch, briefly rolling to the back of her head that it showed the white of her eyes. There was silence, then Aurora let out a ragged sigh. She found the woman staring at her with a confused furrow between her brows.