𝟬𝟳. freak show

CHAPTER SEVEN
all the secrets that we keep

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

     𝐀urora sat between Gar and Rachel in the backseat of the minivan that Dick traded with his Porsche. It was a huge difference, but it was more spacious than the sports car, and they needed spacious. Not fancy. However, Gar still wasn't over it for some reason. He thought that the Porsche was way cooler than the minivan, but he really couldn't do anything about it. 

    She looked out the windows and scrunched her face up at the sight of the creepy motel. She'd seen worse places. This one looked a lot better than them.

     "We're not actually staying here, are we?" Rachel asked, not too keen on the idea of staying in a crappy motel in the middle of nowhere. 

     "You know, there's probably a nice place down the road," Kory said, but Dick had already made up his mind.

     "We're being hunted by sociopaths," Dick told them. "Nicer places draw attention."

     "Yeah." Kory rolled her eyes. "Well, they also make it easier to sleep."

     Dick gave them a look. "One road in. Same road out. Only one point of access we have to watch. And also... it's quiet. Trouble comes our way, we should hear it first."

     "I'm good with quiet," Aurora muttered.

     Dick briefly glanced at her and slightly smiled. He looked back at Kory, raising an eyebrow. "And who said anything about sleeping?"

     "All right, guys, listen up," Dick began to speak. They were now inside the motel and in one of the rooms. "We're all in one piece, more or less. We need to figure out where we stand and determine what's mission critical."

     "Mission critical?" Rachel asked through a mouthful of pizza as she sat on the bed.

     "Is that a cop thing?" Gar commented, holding the whole box of pizza with one piece in his other hand beside her. "Sounds like a cop thing."

     Aurora smiled faintly. "Definitely a cop thing."

     "I had some combat training when I was younger."

     "And he's a cop."

     "I'm sorry, you were referring to 'we'?" Kory raised her brows.

     "We, as of right now, are a group of people who share a common enemy," Dick explained.

      "Which makes us what?"

     The group waited in silence for his answer.

     "Let's call it an alliance," Dick decided. "One born of mutual need."

     "And what is that?"

     "To stay alive. We have no idea how long we have until they find us."

      "You just said they," Gar said uneasily. He inched towards Rachel, letting out a worried chuckle. "Who are they? What do they want?"

     "We don't know who they are," Rachel told him. "But they want me."

     "Well, they're not getting you," Aurora muttered. Rachel glanced at her with a faint smile. She felt more glad to be with them than she should have, knowing there was a family of killers on the loose and trying to hunt Rachel.