𝟭𝟱. wishful thinking

CHAPTER FIFTEEN
work out a formulae to cure me

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

     𝐓he wheels of the truck they rode crunched against the dead leaves on the ground as the vehicle slowed down in front of an old house. It still looked intact but being the only house in the middle of an open field━it looked pretty eerie, too. A lone tree stood in front of the house, the leaves were nowhere to be seen, but on the ground, dead and withering. It looked like someone hadn't been in there for years.

     Angela shut the radio off as the truck car stopped outside the old house. The sound of AC/DC playing faded from their ears, silence consuming them once more. Gar stuffed his hands inside his jacket's pockets as he jumped out of the backseat, followed by Aurora who stared at the old house without a distinct expression on her face.

     "Cool," Gar commented, subconsciously slipping his hand into hers.

     Her hands were getting clammy, but Gar made no sign to let it go as he walked behind Angela to the front porch. She followed close in silence, not wanting to upset him just because her hands were sweaty. He looked too happy, and she always loved the way his smile reached the corner of his eyes. It would be a real break her heart if she made him sad, even because of a small thing.

     However, he finally let go when he suddenly decided to peek through the dirty windows by the porch. He used his palms to block the sunlight, squinting slightly to see what was inside the old house. Honestly, Aurora had no idea what goes on in his head sometimes, but then again, he was Gar. Everything goes on in his head.

     She turned to look at the others, but the moment she did, it felt like someone just pricked her head with the same needles that the people from the asylum had. She winced in pain, but thankfully, it went unnoticed. She didn't want anybody to notice that. She sighed under her breath, tugging on her black rucksack as she trudged towards Kory, trying so hard to ignore the numbness she was feeling.

     As soon as Angela entered the house with Gar following behind, she glanced at Kory, feeling a little hesitant to step inside the house, however, she only noticed the twisted look on her face. Like she was in terrible pain and her eyes couldn't help but shut so hard to contain the agonizing feeling.

     "I don't feel good about this place," Aurora whispered, but the woman was in too much pain to hear what she said. She pursed her lips, not wanting to leave Kory alone.

     But then, Gar peeked through the door with a big smile and Aurora felt her heartbeat double. He raised his brows at them. "You all coming?"

     "Yeah," Aurora murmured.

     His lips quirked into a small smile. "Sweet."

     It didn't take long for them to settle in the old house. Truth be told, it didn't feel like home. Well, at least to Aurora. It reminded her of that old apartment she used to call home, where she lived with her mother. She could still smell the awful stench of cigarettes, urine, alcohol, and a bunch of other rotten scents in that place. It was terrible.

     But she wasn't there anymore. A hovering hand scarcely touched the small of her clothed back, guiding her to the nearest couch, and her posture relaxed. She knew that touch. Because it wasn't like the others who had hurt her. His were always gentle. Hesitant. Unsure. Like he didn't want to make a move that would make her uncomfortable.

     Aurora sat down next to Rachel. Kory in front of them. Earlier, Rachel had told them how she was going to try to get the woman's memories back. Only if it works. She thought it wouldn't hurt to try. Although everyone was a little bit skeptical, they believed the younger girl's words as she seemed determined to at least help.

     Other than that, Aurora was there for emotional support. Quite literally. Maybe, her demon could be useful if something bad happens. Which is kind of likely. 

     She exchanged a small glance with Gar, who stood in a far distance behind Angela. Finally, Rachel began. She carefully reached for Kory's face, placing both of her hands on her cheeks. Then she closed her eyes. A tense silence filled the living room for a few seconds. All of them waiting for something to happen, like for Kory to get a gist of her memories back somehow.

     For a moment, nothing seemed to be happening.

     But then all of sudden, Rachel exhaled heavily and Kory's head turned upwards as she grasped the woman's cheeks. Angela and Gar grew cautious, exchanging glances with each other while Aurora kept her gaze on the two like there was something she couldn't quite figure out.

     Kory was the first to snap out of it. Aurora furrowed her brows. Something changed. Her emotions. Kory doesn't seem like the Kory they knew. Her green eyes glanced between the two teenage girls in front of her like she had no idea who they were. She craned her neck to the side, studying the both of them in silence.

    But then her arms suddenly shot out, firm hands grabbing ahold of Rachel wrapped around her frail neck. Kory was choking her, maiming to kill her. Aurora abruptly stood up, not even thinking for a second as she used all her strength to pull the woman's hands off her friend, and she did.

     Then Kory turned her attention to the red-haired girl and did the same to her. Aurora tried to choke out a few words as Kory lifted her up, holding her by her neck, the pain increasing the higher she lifted her up. Rachel quickly scrambled towards her mother in fright, pressing her hand around her bruised neck, her eyes wide in shock.

     Gar didn't even hesitate to run forward.

     Aurora continued to choke out screams as she felt Kory's hands around her neck start to heat up. She tried to fight it off, channeling her cold part to protect her from the heat, but the pain only became worse. Maybe Kory was right. Fire and ice don't really mix. It didn't matter anyway. Her powers disappeared before she could even do something else. It's like, she couldn't even control her own abilities anymore ever since they got out of the asylum.

     "Kory, stop!" Gar yelled as he ran up behind her. He grabbed her arm━the woman whose eyes once brown, now glowed a terrifying bright green━and flipped her around to face him. "You're hurting her!"

     He definitely did not expect her to harshly wrap her hand around his neck. She was strong, and she was also cutting off his oxygen. The boy choked out his name, prying her hand off his neck but it was like she was made of metal and he couldn't even bend her arm.

     Aurora heaved out deep breaths, trying to regain her breathing and balance as she stood up from the floor. She could still feel the pressure around her neck, but it was nothing when the person she cared about the most took her place. Kory didn't stop. It was almost as if she didn't care that she was hurting them.

     "It's me," He forced out through the hold she had around his neck "Gar."

     That didn't faze her. The redhead was about to channel her inner demon when the door flew open, and a familiar man barged inside, followed by another person that none of them knew. Dick didn't even get to finish his sentence when Kory threw Gar his way, causing the two men to crash on the floor, Dick taking most of the hit.

     The woman Dick brought suddenly whipped out some sort-of rope, more specifically, a lasso. A very familiar lasso, and from what she'd heard, there were only two women who wielded them, and Gar told her a lot of stories about it. Wonder Girl.

     The fierce woman single-handedly fought Kory with her lasso, and soon enough, their dear friend snapped out of her murder spree. Aurora sighed in relief and glanced towards the men who lied on the ground, very much in pain. What a nice entrance. Gar would've said if he wasn't in so much pain from getting thrown on the floor despite the circumstances.