𝟭𝟰. now or never

CHAPTER FOURTEEN
we don't see things as they are

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

     𝐈 suppose Aurora liked trains. Maybe it was the sceneries out the window they pass by, or the faint chatters of people around then, but there was something relieving about train rides. She sat around a small round table in the bar area of the train they boarded, in front of her was Kory, and beside her was Gar. Rachel and Angela were nowhere to be seen. The mother and daughter were somewhere on the train, finding vacant seats for them.

     The constant hum of the train engines filled their ears. It wasn't particularly pleasant to hear at night when everyone was a little too tired or buzzed from the alcohol in their system. However, it was more of the first for Aurora. She tried to block it out with some music coming from Gar's old Sony Walkman that he only let her use, but that didn't work either.

      She slumped back on the seat with a quiet sigh. Making sure not to press her head against the couch or the window.

     "No sugar added, vegan vanilla pudding," Gar read from the food menu he held. "Designed to appeal to those seeking a gluten-free, low-calorie dessert." Then he nodded approvingly. "Sounds healthy."

     "Sounds disgusting," Kory retorted.

     The green-haired boy pursed his lips defeatedly before quietly placing down the menu back on the table.

     "I'll be right back." Kory suddenly stood. Her attention was elsewhere.

     As soon as she left, Aurora turned to Gar. "Do you want to try ordering those stuff?"

     "Really?" Gar almost beamed at her, plucking up the menu back in his hands. "Spinach cucumber smoothie sounds pretty good right now." He licked his lips, reading the menu. But then he seemed to remember something. "You're not vegan."

     Aurora shrugged. "It's food."

     "Yeah, but you don't like vegan food," Gar pointed out. "Like at all."

     "Gar."

     "Rory."

     Aurora shook her head, a little amused as she uncrossed her arms. She scooted closer to the corner of the almost round-shaped couch. Gar shrugged his shoulders, continuing to read the menu without ordering anything. They waited for Kory to come back, and when she did, she had two shot glasses filled with alcohol.

     "Rach just texted," Gar said, briefly raising up his phone. "Her and Angela got seats up front. Let's go."

     Kory sat back down across them and sighed. "Let's not."

     "This whole train thing sounded way more funner this morning," Gar retorted.

     "Those two need some time alone, don't you think?" Kory said, bringing up the recently reunited mother and daughter.

     Gar didn't say anything. He only shut his mouth and gave her a tight-lipped smile. Like he was thinking about something. But then Aurora stood up and his thoughts washed away as he looked at her. Despite the bags underneath her eyes, the pale face, and everything, Aurora had never failed to make his heart race.