𝟮𝟬. ghost of you

CHAPTER TWENTY
i pray the lord my soul to keep

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

     𝐓he truck wheels on the slippery road of a deserted way were the only thing the people in the vehicle could hear in the middle of the night. Fog swept everywhere, like a strange reminder there was something awry going on the whole time. Hiding beneath the smoke, moving along with it, as if they weren't any different.

     That was Angela Azarath.

     "Angela's been playing us this whole time," Dick said through gritted teeth, his grip on the steering wheel tightening at the thought. "The Organization, the asylum, it was all about getting Rachel back." Then he noticed Kory going through some things in the backseat. "What are you doing back there?"

     "Going through her stuff," Kory said nonchalantly, which the detective furrowed his brows at, unsure what to say.

     Donna skimmed over the pages of the same ancient book from the spaceship. "It says there's a way to defeat Trigon. One way. His daughter."

     "Rachel?" Dick asked.

     Kory frowned. "Yes, but... first she has to complete the Trials"

     "What the hell are the Trials?"

     "Four hundred consecutive days of the harshest warrior training. Only one has ever survived it, and that was Trigon's sister. There's no way she could possibly do that━"

     "If anyone could, it would be Rachel. You know her."

     "Then we better move."

     At Kory's words, Dick pressed the gas pedal further.

     Aurora's head hung low, and her blood rushed through her head, but she made no sign to move or change into another position. It was weird. She couldn't feel any pain yet she was growing weaker and weaker like her life and soul were slowly getting stripped out of her. And the worst thing was, Aurora was finally realizing why.

     Too weak, too vulnerable. You're nothing but a freak. The voice said. The same voice that terrorizes her in her sleep and her wake. By the end of this day, you're going to be nothing, but a mere vessel for someone as strong as me. 

     Those sentences repeated in her mind like old Russian lullabies. Tunes that were supposed to make you fall asleep but instead give you nightmares that you wished you were dead.

     Aurora suddenly felt so out of place. Like her body and soul weren't hers to own anymore. If that even makes sense It had been so long since the last time she felt that, and there was some sort of sickness bubbling in her throat. She wanted to cry

     Maybe she was really just a pawn in a game she was always bound to lose.

     "Is help coming?" Aurora heard Rachel ask her mother, and she was tempted to scream at her and tell her that she couldn't be trusted. But she knew, Rachel wouldn't listen. She was her mother after all. Her family. Her blood.

     "He went into town to get the doctor, but Gar's getting worse," Angela told her. "We can't wait. You're gonna have to help him."