10| into the fire

Fast as the eagles of Manwë, with the thought of certain death looming in our minds, we ran out of the now empty hall.

As we exited, Boromir raced ahead down the steps, only to find that the stone pathway abruptly dropped off into the deep of the chasms below. The man skidded to a halt, trying to regain his balance as he teetered on the edge. Legolas darted forwards, pulling him back.

"Gandalf!" Aragorn called.

"Lead them on Aragorn!" urged Gandalf as he ran, glancing back in fear, "The bridge is near!"

"Come on!" I urged as the trembling of the earth behind us drew closer by the second.

"Do as I say!" shouted Gandalf as he pressed from behind, "Swords are of no more use here!"

We turned right, running down a narrow flight of stairs that wound their way to the bridge, flanked on both sides by a deep drop into the chasm below. I couldn't bear to look down.

Suddenly, I skidded to a halt, feeling dread take over my every muscle. A large chunk of the staircase was missing. Between us and the rest of the path lay a deep dark void. We had to make the leap.

Aldion jumped first, the distance proving to be no issue as he landed, waiting for the rest of us. With a graceful leap, Legolas nimbly landed on the other side, before looking at us expectantly. I raised my eyebrows, before giving myself a mini pep-talk as I prepared myself to jump.

Taking a breath to calm my nerves, I jumped, feeling the void beneath me pass by before my feet met the stone of the staircase. With a sigh of relief, I joined Legolas' side, urging the others to jump.

The archway above us exploded into an intense orange as another roar shook the earth, sending rock crumbling from above.

"Gandalf!" I beckoned him to jump.

He leapt over the gap, joining us on this side as Legolas caught him.

All of a sudden, an arrow whistled through the air, striking the rock below Boromir's feet.

"They just don't know when to quit." I muttered, as more and more arrows whizzed in our direction.

I ducked my head, feeling an arrow whizz over my head. I glanced towards the direction of the archer with wide eyes.

Turning, Legolas fired an arrow, and I followed it with my eyes, watching it travel through the air, imbedding itself directly into the skull of the orc archer. I widened my eyes at his accuracy.

"Merry! Pippin!" shouted Boromir as he took one under each arm, leaping off the crumbling staircase, sending another large chunk of it tumbling into the darkness below.

Arrow after arrow flew in our direction, and Legolas returned the arrows, each one hitting its mark, sending an orc plummeting into the chasm, their dying screech fading.

Aragorn picked up Sam.

"It's alright," I reassured him from my side as I braced myself for the weight. "I'll catch you."

He fearfully nodded before my brother tossed him straight into my awaiting arms with a grunt.

"See?" I breathed. "I told you."

Aragorn turned to Gimli, who immediately held up his hand in refusal.

"Nobody tosses a dwarf!" he said firmly.

The stubbornness of dwarves will be the death of me, I thought, suppressing the urge to roll my eyes.

Taking a mighty leap, the dwarf barrelled across the gap, his feet just making the stone staircase. His body however, teetered at the edge, beginning to lean towards the depths of the abyss. Legolas reached out, grabbing a handful of Gimli's chestnut beard.