CHAPTER 21

A/N: Not Edited.

Chapter 21 – Chris POV

Occurrences where the conversation is stilted and there isn’t a way to move on or goes back, or even wish you hadn’t asked a question to begin with, we would be having a lot of those.

With Rainy, it was sooner she had some type of trust with Logan and I, but the children. I knew the research; it could be years before anything even… before they could face what happened, while some may start talking about their time away immediately, but there was so much to look out for and worse it wasn’t just one child, it was eight of them.

I already knew that it was a tough road, and suddenly years of studying psychology 30 years ago, current studies and articles all flash through my mind, and I don’t know how Rainy and I are going to handle it all.

Knowing that no matter what, the only thing I could do would be to show them, tell them every day that they aren’t at fault, what happened wasn’t because they did a single thing wrong. But most importantly they wouldn’t have to recover alone; I would be, for anything, everything. Give them a safe place where they could experience what little bit of their childhood they could, happily, peacefully.

“You’re here Rainy, the babies are here and you’re all safe. I’m here, Logan is here,” I whispered when after telling Logan about ‘Jax,” she began to tremble. Like me Logan put his own anger aside, remaining calm for her, for the kids.

“Rainy, concentrate on Nicole’s heartbeat, deep breath… good, now let it go,” I coached softly. Cutting the ragged breath she took, Kayla began whimpering, her body shaking slightly next to Bailey, strangled keening noises you’d hear from an animal, not a child. Torn between holding Michelle in my arms and calming Kayla and unsure of how that would be received.

The machines she was connected to quicken, the beep getting faster as Kayla whimpered, I stand and place Michelle in the crook of Rainy’s other arm, walking around and heading to Kayla just as Nancy and another woman entered. Bailey, is there trying to calm her but his hands are shaking unaware of how to even give her comfort with all the injuries.

“Shhh – shhh,” he continues but that isn’t enough to actually bring her back, take here away from the nightmare. When I reach out to touch her, Bailey pushes my hand away, growling – then the little color he had gain in the short time being out drained from his face, his eyes fearful and the arm around Kayla tightens. She whimpers louder, but that isn’t enough to break the fearful teary eyed gaze he has. I sigh, “It’s okay Bailey, I – I need to help Kayla wake up, the machines the noise tells me to help her,” I explain, realizing I might have to do that for a long time to come. Explain first, move second.

To show him that there wasn’t a punishment coming, I looked to Kayla, and Nancy came taking Bailey from Kayla’s bed.

“Kayla, cucciola,” I place a hand gently on her shoulder, “cucciola, wake up,” I cooed, careful not to shake her I called her out, coaxing her from the nightmare in her head.