CHAPTER 26

A/N: Not edited 

Chapter 26 – Rainella POV (aka Rainy)

“How are you doing Rain?” the nurse Nancy asked me cautiously approaching me, she was nice, and if I forced myself I could even remember her from when I was younger and she worked at Chris’ hospital. She had a daughter I believe.

Rain. That’s what she would call me before – I shook my head, looking at her, focusing on her face, she had changed, Nancy was a wolf but when I knew her she was still aging, 26 years old maybe. I couldn’t be too sure now.

“Rain?” she asked again, concerned by my lack of response, I blinked a few times. “I’m… okay…” I replied but it sounded more like a question. “Are you in pain?” Pain? I didn’t know the answer to that at I’d be in pain for a long time. A long time.

Still I nodded, “but – but I don’t want anything strong… I want to stay functional.”

“I understand,” Nancy murmured.

Working, slowly not wanting to frightened for which I was grateful Nancy gave me something and I felt a bit better, there was still a pulsing ache but I could handle that, I could focus it away.

“You have very beautiful children,” Nancy said making conversation but her voice was unsure.

“Thank you…” I replied, even with an ugly past they were beautiful, my beauties and I loved them, I was sadden though, afraid. I was slowly dying in that basement, holding on, not giving up because that was what Seth wanted,  push me to give up before killing me, he wanted me to die, be a shell before ending me. I looked up at Nancy, her face tight, she was smiling but gosh I would she would stop, I hated the fake smiles.

Fictitious grins that I knew came with evil lusty cold eyes, “Please stop pretending,” I whispered.

“I – I don’t understand,” her brows knitted in confusion “This isn’t a disguise or mask Rain, I truly care.”

“I believe you, which is why you don’t have to pretend.”

Not sure she completely understood, she nodded though quickly ducking out of the room, I rested back closing my eyes.

Chris POV

I couldn’t connect with Lucy for very long, it was too much to even keep that going when I was forcing myself not to break down crying, leap on stage and strangle Adina or flying at Martin and Derrick.

So in spite of looking at her, I wasn’t actually seeing her. I checked out, hearing but focusing on other things, even then it wasn’t about the children or Rainy physically. I thought about options, I had read all their charts, knew their injuries and aside from Kayla all could be cared for at home if we had a few private nurses.

I thought of Rainy’s old room, the toys, furniture, and the warmth that my mother and not her adoptive parents had created.