Ch.4 Sunday Dinner

I stayed out of the way mostly just helping with anything my Nana asked me to do. I called Daddy and he congratulated me on my solo.

I wished he could have been here in person but that was alright. He would be one of these days.

I was slightly disappointed when Ezra did not come by the time we all sat down for dinner. I kind of was looking forward to hearing that voice of his again.

But food cheered me up and I was pretty content in my usual spot sitting in the front porch on the swing.

I liked to watch the lighting bugs as they came out and hear the crickets buzzing in the grass. I'd truly come to love the country life. It was slow paced and very comfortable compared to the constant fast paced city life.

I could see myself wanting to live in an area like this.

"I miss you girl." Elaina said in a sad voice. She was back in her room painting her toes. We were talking about the big recital that would be taking place next week. I had been in the middle of practices when Daddy pulled me out. I was pretty disappointed because I couldn't help but want to see it through.

I was glad Callie got my part though. She was just as good if not better than me. She deserved it.

That reminded me I needed to call her later.

The sound of a car pulled me from my conversation with Elaina. It was coming down the long road...

I squinted towards the bend that the trees did at the end and spotted headlights coming down the way. It wasn't until I saw the familiar black truck that I realized it was Ezra.

"Why are you smiling like a nut?" Elaina mumbled.

I frowned and looked down at my phone. Oh jeez I forgot she had been on the phone.

"Uh nothing. Can I call you back later?" I said as he pulled to a stop infront of the house next to the other cars.

"Why I was just about to show you my toes. Can you just say on long enough to see if my pinky is straight?" She grumbled.

I swear if she doesn't just get a mirror.

"Okay sure. Make it quick." I allowed.

"Jeez louise you would think that you had somewhere to go all of the sudden." She said as she moved her phone around to show me her pinky toe.

"You need more polish on your bottom left part." I told her as Ezra got out and came up the steps. I tried to act busy like I hadn't been waiting and wishing for him to come.

"Hi Sweet pea." He said as he came to sit down on the swing. I nearly jumped out of my skin at how close he was to me. His cologne enveloped me and I swear I had a brain fart for a full second.

"Hi Ezzy." I said trying to hide my blush with my hair.

"How was your other... stuff?" I asked him trying so hard not to be weird.

I heard him laugh softly as he pushed the swing gently with his long legs.

"It went well. Am I too late?" He asked.

"Um no, they're still all kind of eating. And talking, mostly talking." Jeez why was his close proximity making me blubber like a little girl.

"Oh hello."

I looked down and jumped to see Elaina still on the phone. She was grinning at me mischievously. I knew if I didn't hang up now she would say something crazy.

"Bye E!" I said before I abruptly hung up on her.

I turned it over and slipped it inbetween my legs. "Sorry... I uh was helping her see the mistakes in her nail polish."