Ch.14 Compassion

The last flight was absolutely brutal. It was only an hour long but we had all be surviving off of very crappy sleep.

I was glad I had slept when I did because if I had been any crankier... well let's just say it wouldn't have ended well.

I texted Ezra the second we landed. Literally we were taxing in and I sent the message that I had made it safely to him.

He responded with a quick okay and that he was waiting.

I knew not to expect anymore. He was in work mode. I didn't need to distract him. I just needed to know he was okay.

It took us about half an hour to meet them at the baggage area. I quickly spotted my Bear out of the big men packing.

He was standing towards the front near Rodney but his eyes quickly found mine. His face was serious but he winked at me and I smiled. See... he made it all worth it.

After a head count we were loaded onto a bus and we left. The ride wasn't too scenic. The city was certainly not that big and we entered the desert highway quicker than I had expected.

I knew the ride was another two hours so I sat back and pretended to listen to Casey's nervous talking. She spoke rapidly about anything and everything when her nerves were bad.

That was just her.

I slept through it though, but it wasn't a good sleep. I felt like I had just closed my eyes when she nudged me.

"We're almost there." She whispered to me. I yawned and glanced out the window. It was pure darkness outside being that it was the dead of the night so I couldn't see squat.

But when you looked ahead through the front windshield there was a faint glow. It was the base we would be staying at.

It was an airbase, I wasn't sure what the name of it was but it was just south of a small city named Siwa Oasis.

We spent another hour in processing and getting id's made which to me was just torture. I knew it was necessary but I just wanted to go to bed.

There was way too much going on... I was glad the tour was in the morning.

Everyone excluding me and the few males in our group went to the barracks where everyone would stay. We would be in the same building just in different places. The four guys would share two rooms on the floor below all of the women. I would be with Ezra in his room in the officer quarters.

Perks to being married I guess.

"Room is tiny, but we don't need to share a bathroom." Ezzy told me as he walked me to our room. The hallway was thankfully well lit with cameras everywhere so I would not have to worry about much.

And the room was not bad. It was tiny like he said, but it would be fine. He had already thrown his stuff in the tiny closet and I did the same. We would figure out all that when we had spare time.

Right now I just wanted to shower and go to sleep because I had to be up in seven hours.

I took a very cold shower, and then climbed into bed. Ezra took his shower but I was half asleep when he joined me.

"I love you..." I mumbled.

He pulled me close to his chest. "I love you too."

.

"What happened to you?"

Casey looked like a bus had run her over last night the next morning when I saw her at breakfast. We were eating in the chow hall with everyone else. I'd gotten all the carbs I could handle, and some fruit too.