Chapter two

As I walked down the hallways all eyes were on me. I got self-conscious and looked at the floor but I guess it was a bad idea since I bumped into someone. I quickly said sorry and continued my way to find first period.
"Your late." The teacher said raising her eyebrow.
"I know I'm sorry, I was looking for this class and got a little lost."
"You're not the person that would be late to a class.. so I was told by your last year teachers you're the highest in the class. I'll let it slide this time... go sit by Mr. Villalobos."
The sound of his name sent goosebumps all over my body. I hated him but liked him at the same time. The reason being that he would always just stand there and watch as Devyn and Sam would torture me in the hallways every day. But he had this smile that would melt my heart and make me forget about everything in a second. I don't know what it is about those eyes but I couldn't resist them.
I take my seat next to him and open up my notebook. The class hasn't officially started since the teacher is having a phone call with the office about one of the students skipping. But drawing is the only thing to distract me from my anxiety at this school.
"Hey, you new ?" I heard him say. I stood quiet thinking he was talking to someone beside him.
He started to poke me with a pencil making me slightly jump up.
"Sorry, I just wanted to get your attention."
I turn around and look at him in shock
"I'm sorry I didn't hear you, what did you say?"
"I asked if you were new here." He says laughing. How could he not remember me? The same girl he used to watch get bullied for the past 3 years.
"Oh, I'm not new I've been going here since freshman year." I quietly explain.
"What's your name? I never saw you around gorgeous." He smirks and bites his lip a bit.
I blush at the gestures but slightly turn so it won't be so noticeable to him.
"My name is Mayalyn, but you could call me Maya if you want."
"There's a nerd that goes here, she has the same name." He says laughing.
"The one that used to wear those long cardigans and wear glasses?"
"Yeah her, do you know her"
"I am her... I guess I changed a bit over the summer."
I took what he said in my mind and it was hard to get out. That's how he felt about me?
He looked at me with wide, shocked eyes.
"I'm so sorry I didn't know-" I cut him off not wanting to hear his excuse.
"It's fine,"I say sharply turning back to face the front. I went through the class without talking to Jabez again.

As I'm leaving forth period someone stops me with their hand. I get scared and start to have flashbacks of those times when Sam held me down to the lockers last year while kicking into my ribs.
"Hey, sorry, I didn't mean to spook you."
I look at the face and see a girl my age... I mean why wouldn't she be my age we're literally on the same grade floor.. I can be so stupid.
"Oh, it's ok." I quickly say regretting it immediately. Why was I so bland with my answer? Now she'll think I'm stupid.
"I wanted to invite you to my pool party, it's at 4 if you want to come."