Chapter four

Maya's pov
"So tell me about yourself," Jabez says looking deep into my eyes.

"Well, there's not much. I'm a boring person I guess." I respond laughing. Jabez looked at me weirdly
"There's no way. There's something interesting about everyone."

"Well... basically to bring my boring life into sentences, I moved here from New York after 8th grade. I'm in the math club aaand, I think that's it." I laugh at the end realizing how much I really needed to get out of my comfort zone and do something fun. "Well how about you? Tell me something about your life."

"I've lived in Texas all my life moving around though, I've had the same three best friends all through out highschool and I'm on the basketball team." I can tell he wanted to say more but was trapped into the thought of being someone else. The conversation went on and went deep. We talked about our lives and how he thought basketball wasn't for him because of his height.

"I honestly think you're amazing at it, your height shouldn't matter if you kick ass either way." I give him a reassuring smile and get one in return.

As he was about to say something I feel a pair of hands push my back and I fall into the pool. I quickly swim up to the top and get out. I look around at all the people laughing, pointing and just making a fool out of the scene that just took place. My eyes land on the obvious person who just pushed me in. Devyn. She was laughing her head off. I couldn't even look at Jabez, I wouldn't blame him for laughing,
"Maya wait!" I hear Jocelyn yell as I ran out to the car. I get in and close the door silently crying. The driver door opens and Jocelyn sits down.
"Hey what-"

"Take me home!" My tears came down stronger. She didn't talk anymore and just drove. The only noise made was by the wind hitting the car and my silent sobs.

Once I get home I take a shower and get into my pajamas.

Jocelyn went back to the party after a while of me convincing her to

Jocelyn went back to the party after a while of me convincing her to. My dad was another date, I wanted to be alone to process what just happened.
As I was about to lay down I hear pebbles hitting my window. I look out and see Jabez.
"What are you doing here?!" I whisper yell. It was 8 and I didn't wanna wake any of the neighbors up.
"Jiggy gave me your address. Can I come up?" He yells as if quiet wasn't in his vocabulary.

I hesitated but let him come up.
"Hurry up before I change my mind." I really can't believe I'm letting him in my room. He started to climb up my window using the broken wall tiles as a grip. He finally made it into my room and we stared at each other, not knowing what to do.

Jabez's pov
I fell from the window on to Maya's floor. Normally that would be funny to me but for some reason I'm nervous and embarrassed. I get up and look at Maya. I should've planned this before I got here. I don't know why I'm acting like this. Girls always hang with me without planning and just go with it. Maya just feels different.

"Umm." She says biting her lip. It was the cutest thing.

"Sorry I just came to check up on you after what happened." I say rubbing the back of my neck.

"Oh.. well I'm fine."

Maya's pov
Why does he looks so nervous?
"Thank you for checking up on me but I really wanna be alone." It was a lie, I wanted to be with him but I couldn't admit it.

"What's that on your arm." He says fully ignoring what I just said. I look to where he was pointing and seen the cutting marks on my arm.

"It's not what it looks like." I say hiding my arm behind my back. He grabs it and exams the marks.

"Why do you do it?" He asks looking into my eyes.

"It's been a while, these are old scars it's nothing serious. I try pulling my arm back but he keeps a steady hold on it.

"Come on Maya just tell me the truth. I'm not gonna judge you."

"I don't know exactly. When I do it I feel distracted from what's really happening." I truthly say.

"I know I was a dick to you last year but I just wanna say I'm here for you. If you want we can hang out, get your mind off of what happened today." He says bringing me into a deep hug. "If I wasn't tired I'd interrogate you right now but imma save that for tomorrow." He says chuckling.

"Thank you." Was all I managed to say laughing.

-

After watching a couple movies I got tired and laid on the bed. "It's pretty late you can stay over if you want." I say to Jabez on the other side of the bed. He comes up behind me and wraps his arms around my waist.

"Sorry I sleep better like this." I can almost feel the smirk on his face right now.