Chapter Eleven: Confessions

            Kyo and Pia sat there in silence, both waiting for the other to speak. Both not wanting the other to speak. Kyo’s head pounded, she wasn’t fit for any new news at the moment.

            Pia sat, head bent towards her fingers, which were fiddling around together in her lap.

            Kyo sighed. Even though she wasn’t exactly in the mood for this sort of talk, wanted it to hurry up and be over with already. “Pia,” she said softly. Pia answered with her eyes snapping forward to meet hers, surprised for her voice filling the silence. “You can tell me if you don’t want to continue this, I know how troubling this can be, especially with me as your pupil.”

            “Kyo, there’s nothing wrong with you being my pupil. You’re the best student I’ve had in while. I love being your Sensei,” she said softly. Her eyes stared at the wall behind Kyo, instead of at her. “It’s just Gaius … he’s worried about my condition.”

            “You have a condition?” Kyo croaked out.

            Pia nodded shortly, “Yes,” she half-smiled, “It’s partly the reason why I had to retire from … everything, actually.”

            What’s the condition, Kyo inwardly demanded.

            “Well, um …” Pia laughed softly, “I’m sorry, it’s been a while since I had to tell someone about it—“

            “You don’t have to if you don’t want to,” Kyo insisted.

            Pia smiled, “I want to, and what kind of teacher would I’d be if I left you wondering what it was?”

            Kyo nodded slowly, then sat back against the pillows, her head was pounding so loudly in her ears, she couldn’t stand it.

             “I was more of the Gymnast fighter in the party,” Pia began, “while Gaius was always the magic user or the sword fighter, it was always useful.” She added softly. “But then one day on our way back to Sharance, you know where that is, right?”

            Kyo nodded slowly, “I’ve heard of it. It’s where Raven’s from too, right?”

            “Right,” Pia said enthusiastically, despite the mood, “it’s such a quiet town. Everyone’s always so nice, despite what you were.”

            “What do you ‘what you were’?” Kyo asked curiously.

            Pia rose her hands to pull back her hair from her ear. Kyo’s eyes widened. Her ear was purple and pink, it kind of looked like elfin ears except a bit … longer and more hung. It was kind of hung like a ribbon, reaching just over her shoulders. “As you already know, I’m part mermaid.”

            “Right …” Kyo said slowly, “so that’s kind of like a symbol to represent your … kind?”

            “Well, if you would like to put it like that, then yes, I guess it would be,” Pia said thoughtfully. “Anyways, the people in that town took me in. But I lived at the Bathhouse, which is why I’m so attached to the bathhouse in this town, those people specifically took me in and I’m extremely grateful for that.” She closed her eyes slowly, “Their names are Shino … and Sakuya. Great people. Also, people in this town are very … different from one another. Everyone has different personalities and different hobbies.”