Chapter Thirteen: Resting by No Means

            “We have arrived in the town of Alvarna!” Kyo bellowed.

            Dylas rolled his eyes while Margaret sighed and shook her head.

            “What?” Kyo pouted.

            “This isn’t Alvarna Kyo—“Margaret began.

            “This is Trampoli,” Dylas finished off.

            “You guys are no fun,” Kyo said, turning away. Her eyes furrowed, “Guys, do you see that?”

            Margaret squinted her eyes, “What is it?”

            Dylas remained silent, staring off in that direction.

            The Man gulped, holding onto his child helplessly, “The poor child didn’t mean anything by it, sir, I swear it.”

            “Bullshit, Gramps,” the soldier seethed, “You know the rules. I won’t take such disrespect, nonetheless from a child.”

            “But he is a child, sir! Surely you can let this slide this one time? I swear on my life it won’t happen again.”

            The soldier grunted, standing tall, “What do you take me for? A Charity case?”

            Another soldier came up to the current one and whispered something in a foreign language, making him smile evilly.

            The old Man gulped, glancing worriedly down at his child. “Wha—what is it?” he stuttered out as the soldier had departed.

            “It would seem I do run a charity case,” the Soldier shook his head, he reached down, grabbing a hold of the boy’s hair, gripping it tightly. The boy grunted and glared up at him, but didn’t fight back. “Make sure this doesn’t happen again, Old Man.”

            “Of course, of course.” The Old Man rushed out.

            The soldier nodded in approval, roughly shoving the boy before nodding and turning away.

            The Old Man yelped, leaning down, taking the boy by the elbows and helped him back to his feet. “You need to be more careful, Kai.” He muttered to the boy.

            “Hmf,” the boy responded.

            Margaret frowned, “What in Bloody name was that?”

            “I’m not sure …” Kyo admitted, “has this town always been this way?”

            Dylas returned the frown, “Not always, no. Last time I checked, it use to be a pretty cheerful town. I wonder what happened.” He muttered to himself.

            “Yeah, he’s right ..” Margaret added softly.

            “I’m gonna go and check up on that Man,” Kyo informed, making her way in their direction.

            As she came closer, the Old Man and Boy took notice. The Boy glanced to the Old man while he looked nervous.

            “H-Hello ma’am,,” The Old Man said nervously, “How may I help you?”

            “What do you serve here?” Kyo asked hesitantly.

            “Vegetables,” he answered automatically, “but I’m not sure if they’ll be to your liking.”

            “And why is that?” Kyo asked curiously.

            “Your kind seems to always hate what we serve.”

            Kyo looked sideways to see the boy again. From up close, he actually looked around her age, and maybe a bit taller than Dylas. With long brown hair and dark brown eyes. Even his Dad seemed to look a bit younger than he actually was. Blonde hair with a little stub on the chin.

            “Kai,” The Old Man hissed, “Manners.”

            “Why defend it, Gramps, you know it’s true.”

            Aahh … so he was his Grandpa, not his father.

            Kai walked out, wearing a robe-like material, a bow and arrow attached to his back. He casually started to sweep the dust from the concrete.

            “I’m terribly sorry about my child, he err … has no manners.” The old man apologized.

            “No worries,” Kyo muttered. “So, erm … I’m on a trip with my friends, and we’re in need of a place to stay, if you have any particular suggestions.”

            The Man looked surprised, “You weren’t transferred or anything?”

            Her eyes furrowed, “Transferred?”

            “A Sechs, you aren’t a—“

            “Bloody Hell!” she shrieked, “I should’ve known it’d be them.”

And there goes Part One of their Trip ;)