Chapter 6

Though, as quickly as it appears, Dizzy's smile fades and is replaced with a frown. "What?"

It snaps Tucker back to reality as he stutters a response. "N-nothing."

He's embarrassed for just embracing the other boy in his arms and looks at the ground.

"I should-" Tucker begins to say.

"You should-" Dizzy speaks at the same time.

Tucker looks up at Dizzy who has a hand on the back of his neck and stares at him.

"Go," Tucker finishes. "I should go."

Dizzy just nods and walks to his bedroom door to close it after Tucker leaves. Tucker takes one step out into the living room when he hears Dizzy's voice.

"Wait. One more thing," Dizzy says. Tucker spins around to look at his childhood friend.

"I don't want your pity," Dizzy continues. "So... don't do anything unnecessary anymore."

Tucker figures Dizzy hinted at the hug as being unnecessary and feels his face get hot.

"I just," Tucker tries to reply. "It was an accident."

"Whatever," Dizzy says. "Just get out of here before my father gets back from whichever whore house he's at right now. He won't be happy to see another body in the house that doesn't belong to a woman."

Tucker wants to ask if Dizzy will be alright alone tonight with his father but doesn't want to be too pushy with him and winds up slowly taking his leave.

---

Tucker arrives home at an ungodly hour and quietly makes his way to his new bedroom. He's about to open his door when an arm shoots out and traps him against the wall. Tucker gasps and a hand is immediately clasped against his mouth.

"Shh," he hears. "It's just me."

Tucker recognizes the voice to belong to Chance and relaxes slightly, though still feels his heart racing in his chest. Chance removes his hand from Tucker's mouth and narrows his eyes at him.

"What were you doing out this late, brother?" Chance asks and grins, a sly grin in Tucker's eyes.

"We're step-brothers," Tucker replies, ignoring Chance's question. "Don't act closer than we are."

Tucker surprises himself with the words that flow out of his mouth and it seems to have the same effect on Chance as well. But it also just makes his step-brother grin even wider.

"You weren't fooling around with girls after work, were you?" Chance whispers.

"And if I was?" Tucker asks as he reaches for his door handle.

"Good for you," Chance replies and removes his arm from the wall. "Anyone I know?"

Tucker daringly looks into Chance's eyes and says, "Yes."

Chance's eyebrow raises as he looks at Tucker. "Who-"

"Dizzy," Tucker cuts him off and turns the doorknob on his door before he swiftly slips in and locks it behind him.

Tucker only tells Chance about Dizzy because he figures it would get on his nerves. And that's exactly what it does.

Chance stays frozen for a second, lingering at Tucker's door. "Diz?" he whispers to himself. "What the hell?"

Meanwhile, Tucker collapses on his bed. He's simply exhausted from the painstaking job he had to do into the early morning and from the events that followed.

---

The weekend passes as quickly as it began and Tucker finds himself sitting in his school desk with his raggedy uniform sooner than he preferred. He looks up for a brief second as he waits for the homeroom teacher to arrive and spots a head of light-brown curly hair enter the classroom.

As if by mistake, Dizzy's emerald eyes look into Tucker's and he quickly darts them away. He's different. He isn't going to pick on Tucker today and takes his seat by the window. Unable to stop himself, Tucker glances over at Dizzy and spots a noticeable bruised spot on his cheek.

Tucker remembers the events of the other night and associates the bruise with Dizzy's father from when he slapped him. But Tucker doesn't know what to do about it and stays sitting in his desk.

Seconds pass between the time Dizzy slouches in his seat and Tucker thinks about Dizzy's father, until Chance saunters into the room as if he owns the place. A wide grin is plastered on his face as many stare at him. It sickens Tucker and he releases a deep sigh. His step-brother is an unbelievably flashy guy.

Anyway, Chance walks straight to the back of the classroom where Dizzy and the rest of Xapt Calibur sit, slinging an arm around Dizzy's shoulder. Dizzy is unable to hide the small smile that appears on his lips as he looks up over at Chance and it reminds Tucker of the one Dizzy showed him last night. Chance pokes Dizzy's cheek with his pointer finger, oblivious to the bruise that marks it.

Dizzy flinches slightly as Chance begins to speak.

"Last Friday," Chance says, removing his finger from Dizzy's swollen cheek, "You were with Tu-"

A hand is slapped straight over Chance's lips and Tucker looks across the room to see it belong to Dizzy. Dizzy narrows his eyes at Chance, a look Tucker had never seen him give anyone except himself. Especially since he had just been grinning at the boy whose arm was slung around his shoulder.

"You don't know shit," Dizzy says, cutting Chance off.

"Woah, dude," one of their friends says. "Relax Diz."

Chance takes his arm away from Dizzy's shoulder as the homeroom teacher walks in, straightening his glasses. It ends the little dispute and Chance slumps in his desk.

After the class ends, Tucker makes his way to the bathroom, unaware that he was being followed. Before he enters the stall, a voice speaks.

"You told him."

Tucker spins around, startled at the voice and looks at who had just spoken. The boy's arms are crossed over his chest and he glares at Tucker.

"You told Chance we were together Friday?" Dizzy says.

Tucker shrugs his shoulders. "Maybe."

Dizzy flashes a small smirk before he speaks.

"When did you two get so close?" Dizzy asks.

And that's when Tucker realizes his mistake.

"We're not."

---

Hi, thank you for reading! Let me know what you think (: