Chapter 22

Dizzy looks over at a dumpster to his right as a hooded silhouette pushes off from the wall it was standing against and comes into Dizzy's view.

The boy appears to be around Dizzy's age and his hands are stuffed into the pockets of his black joggers. His hood obscures his face and Dizzy has difficulty recognizing him.

"Who are you?" Dizzy asks after never receiving a message back.

The boy pulls off his hood and reveals his face that's marked with a scar above his eyebrow and dark, haunting eyes. His hair is a dark shade of blood red and he eerily smiles back at Dizzy.

"Zerik," the boy says with a deep, shrilling voice.

"What do you want with Chance?" Dizzy asks.

"I know you're smarter than that," Zerick says, grinning wickedly. "Chance isn't the one I'm after and you know that."

Dizzy takes a few daring steps forward as he reaches out two fingers and pushes them against Zerick's shoulder.

"Alfie," Dizzy says, his mouth by Zerick's ear. "He sent you here to beat me up or something, huh?"

Zerick's smile fades for a brief moment and Dizzy's lips curl up in a grin instead.

"I can tell by the look on your face that I'm right," Dizzy says. "I knew Alfie wasn't very fond of me since the moment we met. And he was being awfully quiet during this whole thing. He's the one who gave you my number, isn't he?"

Zerick suddenly steps toward Dizzy and curls his fingers together in a fist that Dizzy fails to see. He draws his arm back and quickly darts it through the air.

But Dizzy's hand shoots out and wraps around Zerick's forearm.

"That punk," Dizzy says as he scowls at Zerick. "Sent you to do his dirty work. And look at you, pathetically trying to land a hit on me as if I don't have any experience in fighting."

Zerick struggles to get his arm free from Dizzy's painful grip but to no avail.

"As if my father doesn't beat me on a regular basis," Dizzy spits. "You guys don't know me. So don't go around acting like you know shit. Go back to your stupid gang and take Alfie with you."

"How do you-"

"How do I know?" Dizzy says and forces out a laugh. "I've seen you guys downtown after school. You should know Xapt Calibur is notorious for that area."

"Then why'd you let Alfie in your gang when you knew he was a part of Vast Mith with me?" Zerick asks.

"To get a little action," Dizzy replies. "It's been a while since anything exciting has happened."

"Wha-"

Dizzy interrupts Zerick when he sends a punch soaring through the air and connects it with Zerick's cheek.

And that's when the rest of Xapt Calibur and Vast Mith enter the mix.

You see, despite Dizzy specifically telling Chance not to tail him, of course, that's exactly what he and the others do. After all, that is what being in a gang is all about- having one another's backs. And it seems as though Vast Mith expected such a turnout and also showed up for the battle.

In truth, it's a bloody mess. Curses string from the mouths of the fighters who fall just short of the MMA in their minds at least and Chance pulls Alfie out from the shadows.

Chance socks his opponent in the stomach and Alfie grunts before he coughs out and crouches over.

"Scumbag," Chance says. "Stand the fuck up."

A heavy hand is placed on Chance's shoulder as a raspy voice sounds in his ear.

"Let me at him."

Chance nods and steps out of the way as he dodges an incoming swing from Zerick who's ready to attack his new battle partner. Dizzy grabs Alfie by his white-blond hair and sends his knee right into his gut, the same area Chance had just pulverized.

Alfie gags and curses, stumbling over as he slowly attempts to stand up straight again. Dizzy glances behind him, watching the mass of guys slam each other in every direction before he hears Cole yell, "Watch out!"

Dizzy's head is thrust to the side as Alfie's fist strikes him in the jaw.

"Fuckin' hell," Dizzy says, grasping his jaw but his reaction time is unfortunately too slow.

Alfie successfully lands yet another hit to Dizzy's nose which now seeps with dark blood. Dizzy's eyes narrow as he shakes with fury, both hands clenched at his side. He doesn't bother to wipe the blood that flows out of his nose like a river and honestly, what a sight.

Alfie backs away slowly, realizing Dizzy is now really out for blood.

But shockingly, Dizzy stops fighting.

Instead, he asks a single question.

"Why?"

"W-what?" Alfie stutters as the two gangs continue to battle around them.

"Why me?" Dizzy asks. "What do you have against me that you would cause this?"

"You're the closest person to Chance," Alfie says. "His ride or die. His right-hand man."

"And?" Dizzy asks, now swiping at the blood with the back of his hand.

"And he's going to hurt my sister, I know that," Alfie says. "So I wanted to hurt the person most important to him."

"You son of a bitch," Dizzy breathes. "Chance would never do anything to someone he cares about. And look what you've caused just because of your idiotic assumption!"

"I know-"

"You don't know anything," Dizzy seethes and feels a presence lingering behind him.

"He's the last one standing," Chance says behind Dizzy. "Are you gonna finish him?"

"No," Dizzy says softly and wills himself to look Alfie in the eyes. "Let's pretend we never met."

And that's exactly what they did.

For two years.

Until Alfie becomes interested in Tucker.

And Dizzy can't stand to see it.

---
Hi, thanks for reading! Let me know what you think (: