Chapter 34

Zerick raises his eyebrow with the scar just above it as he looks over at Chance, entertained by the question Chance had asked him.

"You really want to battle it out again?" Zerick asks. "I'm stronger than that boy I was two years ago, Chance. You won't last."

"I've changed in those two years, too, Zerick," Chance replies. "But if you're not down to fight, then I guess there's no helping it."

"Oh, I'm down," Zerick says. "I'm just worried for you."

Chance rolls his eyes as their teacher strolls in. "I'll be fine."

"Alright," Zerick says. "Meet me out back after school then. And don't bring anyone."

Chance listens to what Zerick tells him and shows up alone once school ends. Zerick already leans against the wall of the shed behind the school and he runs a hand through his dark red hair as Chance approaches. He pushes off of the shed and stalks over to Chance, looking down at him.

"You actually came," Zerick says, grinning.

"No shit," Chance says. "Let's get this over with."

Zerick breathes out and a cloud of air becomes visible due to the cold temperature. He's only wearing a t-shirt and his arms have goosebumps.

He's about to speak when a sweatshirt is thrown at him and lands on his face, obstructing him from talking. He pulls it off and looks over at Chance who tells him to put it on. And he does.

"Thanks," Zerick says as he pulls the sweatshirt over his head. "You ready?"

"I guess," Chance replies, a hand on the back of his neck.

"Alright, if you can land one hit on me, you win," Zerick replies.

"What?" Chance asks. "It'll be over in a second."

"Then let's see it," Zerick says, still grinning.

Chance sighs and quickly darts toward Zerick who's hands are up by his face. Chance swings his right arm and aims for Zerick's face, but he ducks and lands a punch in Chance's side.

Chance staggers back a few steps and Zerick stands up straight. Then, he faces Zerick again and brings his knee up before snapping his leg foreword and pivoting on his other foot in a roundhouse kick. Zerick steps back easily and the kick misses completely.

"Come on," Zerick says. "Quicker movements."

"I'm trying," Chance says through gritted teeth.

Zerick takes the next opportunity and bolts to Chance as he draws his left arm back and punches him in the gut. Chance coughs and breathes out heavily, his body bending over.

But he straightens up and rushes toward Zerick, sending a punch to Zerick's cheek. Though, it doesn't land.

Zerick's hand instantly grasps Chance's forearm and pulls it behind Chance's back. Then, he shoves Chance's body against the shed and holds his arms behind his back. Zerick leans in close, his body against Chance's back, and brings his mouth to Chance's ear.

"Checkmate."

He releases Chance who slowly turns around to face Zerick. His eyes are casted downward for a brief moment before he raises them to look Zerick in the eye.

"I guess you have gotten stronger," Chance says. "And you look like a completely different person. I didn't recognize you until you said your name."

"Is that a good thing?" Zerick asks.

"I mean, you were a kid back then," Chance says. "We all were. I'd say you've grown up well."

Zerick laughs. "Same to you."

Chance just nods his head and turns to leave.

"Wait," Zerick says as he pulls on the bottom of Chance's sweatshirt.

Chance spins around and watches him.

"Just keep it for now," Chance says. "It's cold out."

Zerick lets go of the sweatshirt and keeps it on.

"Thanks, man," he says again. "What're you doing now?"

Chance narrows his eyes. "Going home."

"Lame," Zerick says and playfully rams his shoulder into Chance's.

"Go hang out with Alfie then," Chance sighs.

Zerick stops in his tracks. "Alfie? I haven't heard that name in years."

Chance turns around and frowns. "He's in our home room, you idiot. Did you not notice?"

Zerick looks up at the sky as if he's trying to recall the events following his arrival.

"I didn't even see the kid," Zerick says. "I must've been too busy watching the infamous guys of Xapt Calibur."

"I don't blame you," Chance says, smiling. "We're a good-looking bunch."

"You're still as flashy as you were two years ago, I see," Zerick says as the two begin their walk home.

Chance shrugs. "That's just who I am. But anyway, how'd you leave things with Alfie? He didn't look too excited to see you."

"Damn, I wish I saw the look on his face," Zerick says. "We didn't end badly, though. Vast Mith just broke up after that gang fight and we haven't spoken since. I'd like to see the kid again."

Chance shoves his hands into the pockets of his uniform pants. "Good. You can go bother him instead of me."

Zerick slings his arm around Chance's shoulder and looks over at him. He's a head taller than Chance so it's only natural that he has to look down a bit.

"And here I thought we were becoming such good friends," Zerick says.

"Friends don't fight each other after school," Chance says and doesn't bother to shake Zerick off.

Zerick laughs and removes his arm from Chance's shoulder.

"Well, I'm headed that way," Zerick says and points to his right. "See you tomorrow."

"Yeah," Chance mumbles and heads home.

He kicks off his shoes and slowly walks up the stairs to his bedroom when he hears voices coming from the inside. He pushes the door open and his eyes widen upon discovering four bodies in his room.

"What're you all doing in here?" Chance asks and flings his backpack onto his bed.

Dizzy, Tucker, Cole, and Alfie sit on Chance's floor and look up at him as Dizzy asks him a question.

"Where the hell have you been?"

---
Hi, thank you for reading! Let me know what you think (: