New Chapter

"Chance Dillan."

Applause sounds around the auditorium as Chance grins widely at the education staff standing on stage and he walks over to them, shaking each one of their hands.

"Congratulations," they tell him as Chance's smile seemingly widens with each step he takes. But, that's just the way he is--flashy right up until the day of his graduation.

He proudly accepts his diploma and takes his seat back in the audience as he watches the rest of his friends graduate after him.

A few more names are called until he hears, "Josiah Frazier."

Chance laughs to himself as Dizzy walks across the stage, his curly hair sticking out under his maroon cap. Dizzy had forgotten to change his name to Milo for the diploma and curses before he trudges up to receive it.

"Tucker Hill," the principal says as the timid boy takes his time walking, careful not to trip.

A few more familiar names are called-- Alfred Kopa, Zerick Trainer, and Cole Vaughn as the boys from Dewey High spend their final day of high school together.

The ceremony concludes after two long hours and Tucker hangs his head down until he finds his mother in the audience. She wears a warm smile and congratulates her son, pulling him into a tight embrace. Of course, her husband stands beside her, shaking the hand of his son, Chance before pulling him into a hug as well.

The parents then embrace their step-children as another figure walks over to the family. He stands back at first as he's uncomfortable and doesn't know what to do.

Nobody showed up for his graduation. But he knew his father wouldn't.

Tucker senses the presence lingering behind him and turns around to find Dizzy standing a few feet away. Dizzy offers a small wave as Tucker waves him over.

"Diz," Chance says, grasping Dizzy's hand in a congratulatory shake. Dizzy grins up at him and shoves his arm for misusing his nickname.

Tucker watches the exchange until Dizzy lifts his eyes to meet Tucker's and smiles. It makes Tucker's heart flutter and he grins back at him.

"Come here," Tucker hears his mother say and he looks back at her. Before understanding what she had meant, he watches as Dizzy slowly approaches his mother as she wraps her arms around his back. She must've noticed Josiah hadn't made an appearance at his son's graduation.

Dizzy melts into Tucker's mother's arms and stays like that for a moment before releasing her, saying, "Thank you, Mrs. Hill."

She simply nods her head and the three boys follow their graduating class back out of the door. As they walk, Dizzy stumbles over something and catches his balance by grabbing onto Tucker's arm. He whips around in anger to find a boy with light-blonde hair innocently whistling as if he hadn't done anything.

"Fuck off, Alfred," Dizzy says, unable to hold back a snicker.

"Shut up," Alfie says, glaring at the boy with the tan skin in front of him.

Dizzy shrugs off Alfie's attempt to piss him off as it's their last day together. He won't have to associate with Alfie anymore and gladly follows Chance onto the bus that is headed back to their school.

---

A party erupts at Cole's house that night to celebrate their graduation from high school and loud music booms throughout his home. Tucker tentatively enters alongside his step-brother who leads him into the kitchen. Soon enough, he's surrounded by both boys and girls and Tucker decides to slip away. His step-brother is much too popular for his comfort.

Tucker glances around at the many bodies swarmed around Cole's house until he finds a familiar face tilting a beer down his throat and he shakes his head. Walking over to the boy with the beer, Tucker hangs his arm around the boy's shoulder and practically yells over the music.

"Milo," Tucker says as Dizzy looks at him with a wide grin. He stumbles to stand upright and Tucker sighs. The party had just begun.

Meanwhile, another presence enters the party scene as many eyes turn to stare. He isn't well known around the area yet as he had just moved into town, but he's soon welcomed by Tucker's step-brother. Chance instantly ditches the crowd around him and ducks his head as he slips through the mess of people until he reaches a boy with the scar above his eyebrow.

"Who invited you here?" Chance jokes as Zerick laughs. He tips his hat down and Chance rolls his eyes.

"You did," Zerick answers him, wearing the hat he had stolen from Chance.

Chance pulls on the sleeve of Zerick's sweatshirt, well, his sweatshirt, and reads the name.

"You're still wearing my shit," Chance says as Zerick grins.

"It's mine now," he replies as the two make their way back over to Chance's buddies.

"Who's this?" one of them asks as Chance reaches out to ruffle Zerick's hair.

"Zerick Trainer," Chance answers as a girl steps forward to greet him. She shyly tucks a loose strand of hair behind her ear and bats her eyes.

"Hi," she says, smiling up at him.

Zerick offers a smile back as the girl steps forward once more. She asks if he wants to follow her outside and Chance watches with an amused expression.

But, Zerick simply looks down at the girl, and respectfully declines.

"I think I'm gonna stay here," Zerick tells her.

"Why?" she asks daringly.

Zerick leans close to her and Chance watches as the girl's face flushes but he cannot hear what Zerick says to her.

"Because," Zerick says. "Then this guy will get the wrong idea."

"So?" she questions.

Zerick laughs and whispers in her ear. "I like him."

---

And well, their high school days soon become just a distant memory as the boys head off to college.

---

new chapter lol thanks for comin back (: