Chapter 7

Days pass since the last time Tucker speaks to Dizzy. It was only on the weekends when the two were acquainted due to their part-time job of lifting endless packages. And Dizzy hadn't made an effort to relentlessly banter Tucker either. None of the members of Xapt Calibur had messed with him for that matter. Not that Tucker was complaining.

Anyway, it's a typical day with an atypical family at dinner time. Tucker's mother prepares a variety of foods to which she displays on the table- green beans, mashed potatoes, a turkey, stuffing, among many others. It isn't even Thanksgiving.

Chance's father saunters in after a long day at work and kisses his new wife on the cheek as she smiles at him. It nauseates Tucker and his step-father comments on the massive amount of food.

The new family sits together in silence for a large portion of the dinner. Tucker's mother thinks its because everyone is too busy eating, but Tucker and Chance simply don't want to talk. They have nothing to say anyway.

"My coworker gave me these coupons for Luna's Den that are going to expire tomorrow," Tucker's mother finally says. "Why don't you two stop by tonight?"

Chance immediately lifts his head from the table and is unable to hide his smirk.

"It's Wednesday, that's right," Chance whispers to himself. Tucker finds it odd but doesn't say anything.

"We'll go," Chance decides for the both of them and Tucker opens his mouth to protest but no words escape.

Tucker's mother beams at Chance's response and pulls out the crumpled coupons from her pocket. "You should get some ice cream or something."

"Thanks, mo-" he begins to say and stops himself. He still isn't comfortable with calling this woman his mother yet. Tucker's mother smiles and pretends to have not heard Chance's mishap.

Tucker clears his throat after a while and silently dismisses himself from the table before he heads up to his room. He isn't trying to be impolite, but his mind is elsewhere and his thoughts are clouded. He needs a release but doesn't know where to go about it or what to do.

Though, it isn't long before he hears a knock on his door and Chance steps through after softly pushing it open. He peers over at Tucker who lays on his bed and pulls out two crumpled pieces of paper and hangs them in the air.

"Aren't we going?" Chance asks, a wide smile on his face.

"Why are you so intent on going to Luna's Den?" Tucker asks, sitting up. "And with me of all people."

"I want to get ice cream," Chance replies, still smiling.

Tucker breathes out and folds his arms across his chest. "That isn't why. We have ice cream in the freezer."

Chance laughs and shoves the coupons back into his pocket. "You caught me, step-bro."

Tucker rolls his eyes. "Don't call me that. We aren't close-"

"Ah, come on already," Chance says and holds onto the doorknob. "Let's just go. You'll see why once we get there."

Tucker breathes out again before he replies. "You guys don't like me. So you can stop going out of your way to pretend you do for the sake of our stupid family."

"Stupid family? I'm not doing this for them. And it's not that I don't like you-"

"The other guys don't," Tucker cuts in. "The ones in Xapt Calibur."

Chance sighs heavily. "Let's talk on the way there. I'll explain a few things. And plus, there won't be any awkward silence."

"Whatever," Tucker says and slowly pushes himself out of his bed. He grabs an old sweatshirt from off of his floor and drapes it over his shoulder in case he needs it later. He follows Chance out of his bedroom and catches his mother smile as she watches the two of them head out.

Tucker is curious about what Chance has to say and he guesses that's why he decided to go to Luna's Den with him. Perhaps they could sort out a few things.

Though, Chance doesn't begin to speak immediately once they both get situated inside of Chance's car. And Tucker doesn't want to bring up the touchy subject again but deep inside, he wants to know the reason behind Xapt Calibur's cruel intentions.

"You can talk," Tucker says as if granting Chance the ability to speak. Chance chuckles at that and quickly takes a peek at his step-brother in the passenger seat beside him as he drives. Chance grins at him and Tucker instantly averts his eyes.

"Xapt Calibur doesn't hate you," Chance says slowly. "We're just a bunch of lousy guys who do lousy shit whenever we feel like it. It's our release I guess."

"Your idea of release is picking on me, I see," Tucker says and rolls his eyes.

"I never understood why those guys, well, particularly Diz, targeted you. I had no reason to and when I questioned him about it, he always said the same thing," Chance explains. "That you had hurt him in the past or something."

Tucker feels his heart hammer in his chest and replies through clenched teeth. "He's the one who hurt me."

Chance takes a turn and Luna's Den comes into sight. "Listen, I have no idea what the two of you are talking about, but it's probably best if you guys sort it out. And soon. I can't have my best friend and my step-brother hating each other's guts. It's exhausting."

Tucker doesn't want to reveal the events of the past because he doesn't want Chance to know about his fated kiss with Dizzy that completely destroyed the relationship they once had.

"I told the guys not to badger you anymore," Chance said. "They gave me shit for it but I've got to look out for my step-bro now." He reaches off the steering wheel with one hand and ruffles Tucker's hair as if he's a child.

Tucker mumbles sarcastically, "That's so thoughtful of you."

But Chance just smiles and says, "Well, we're here."

---
Hi, thank you for reading!!