Chapter 13

As softly as possible, Tucker closes his bedroom door and tiptoes to the side of his bed where Dizzy sleeps soundly. He looks so peaceful and Tucker doesn't want to wake him. Because right now, Dizzy isn't thinking about his father and he's just resting, getting the sleep he needs.

Tucker lies the sleeping bag down on the floor next to his bed and crawls in, not even bothering to change his clothes. He's simply exhausted and falls asleep as soon as his head hits the pillow.

---

"Fuckin' hell."

Tucker jumps awake at the sound of the raspy voice and the sunlight that shines through his window seemingly blinds him for a few seconds. Tucker rubs his eyes harshly and peers up at the hungover fellow holding his head in Tucker's bed. Dizzy's curly hair is unruly and strayed about in every direction. Though, despite this, he still looks attractive.

"Why am I in your bed?" Dizzy asks, scrunching his face in obvious pain and leans back. "How much did I drink last night, damn it."

"Y-you don't remember anything?" Tucker asks tentatively.

"I remember you bringing me home, but why am I here?" Dizzy says back.

"You remember going home?" Tucker says. "So you remember when your father slap-"

Tucker quickly closes his mouth. If Dizzy doesn't remember his father hitting Tucker, Tucker wishes to keep it that way.

"Tucker," Dizzy says slowly and this time makes an effort to look down at Tucker on the floor. "My father slapped me?"

"Well," Tucker says. "No."

"Tucker," Dizzy repeats. "Did my father fucking lay his hands on you?"

Tucker takes a second to reply and looks down at his hands, knowing he cannot keep the truth from Dizzy.

"Accidentally."

"What?" Dizzy growls. "I'm going to k-"

"Dizzy," Tucker interjects but is, in turn, cut off as well.

"First of all, call me Milo," Dizzy says. "Second of all, tell me what the hell happened, Tucker."

"He was going to hit you," Tucker explains softly. "So I pushed you behind me and his hand hit me instead."

Dizzy doesn't speak for a minute. He just stares at Tucker who averts his gaze.

"You're an idiot," Dizzy says.

"W-what?" Tucker asks, shocked at hearing those particular words from Dizzy.

"Don't you ever take the brunt of my abuse from that asshole," Dizzy says, still looking at Tucker. "I already told you that there isn't a day that goes by where he doesn't hurt me. I'm used to it. But you're not. So you shouldn't put yourself in danger for my sake."

"But-"

"But nothing," Dizzy says. "Listen, I'm in excruciating pain right now but we will continue this conversation after I drink some water and get something in my stomach."