29%

IT HAD been a few weeks or so since my departure from George's care, and the loneliness became crippling. Or has it been a month? When I want time to move slower, Kronos certainly listened. He relished in the thought of my moments being filled with listless misery. 

I quickly realized  that I now had to pay rent for the shabby digs I was now residing in, deep in the heart of Westminster. It wasn't too hard to navigate, seeing as it had been my home in the future.

What a weird thought that was.

I had to find a job, one that would tide me over without any frivolous expenditures. Just rent, a box of digestives, and most importantly, tea.

Squatting in a youth hostel with backpacking American teenagers was certainly not how I imagined spending Christmas but there I was. Well, I did manage to square away a small room within a flat chock full of University students with many tears and favours to boot. I had to give myself credit where it was due.

"Happy Christmas love! Almost down to the last 12 days aren't we?" My manager, Christopher jeered as he strolled into the cafe as I was handing an old lady a scone.

I nodded with a curt smile, focusing on working the cash register before me. If modern technology had threw me for a spin, simpler modes of operation should have been my saving grace. Therein lied my folly; I am just not technologically savvy.

"Have a good one, ta darling." I said to the woman as I tossed the pence pieces into the register with a sigh.

The woman took my cold hand into the warmth of her aged, and warm ones with a soft rub.

"Where ye are now luv, is not where you'll always be. Chin up." She said affirmatively, and with one last lingering squeeze to my hand, the woman left into the cold.

I was in shock, it was plain as day on the landmarks of my face. It was obvious I didn't belong here, and others could see it too. God, I need to become a better actress.

"I'm impressed, a waitress at a shoebox of a cafe. You certainly took upon your own agency to not interfere with George's life anymore, hm?" I heard the familiar feminine voice from across the pastry counter, tracing it back to the ever beautiful Hebe.

My face remained crestfallen as I studied the goddess interacting amongst other humans as if she were one. Hebe was almost comically dressed in a blush pink tea length dress with black wool stockings, and a taupe pea coat bundled around her midsection.

"I'm not really cold but, I did it for the sake of the drama." Hebe giggled as I noticed her attire, to which I glanced away to pretend I was helping customers.

"Not that I'm not happy to see you, Hebe, I'm just not in the proper mood or setting to entertain you." I gestured at my apron and the cuppa I was pushing onto the call out counter.

"Daisy, your cuppa is on!"

Hebe passed her eyes over the pastry case and pointed at a fig tart, and I took one out for her and parceled it up with a red piece of ribbon. Christopher wanted some of the Christmas spirit to go home with everyone. How chipper of him.

"I understand my dear. But my question remains unanswered." Hebe softly spoke across the register as I took her pence piece with an outstretched palm.

I huffed as I brushed the falling strands of my bun behind my ear, struggling to open the drawer of the register as I pulled an answer from my lips for Hebe.

"Well when you love someone, you let them go, don't you?" I muttered, feeling the vice of heartbreak tighten around the chambers of my heart painfully.

I handed her the parcel, and the radiant goddess leaned over the counter to whisper in a tone so low, only I could catch her words.

"You're about to get a break, come meet me in the corner next to that rather curious painting of the barn owl. We have much to discuss, wouldn't you agree?"

_

"I see Kronos has paid you another visit, to which prompted your sudden separation from George." Hebe merely stated as she took a soft bite from her half-eaten blueberry scone. Her golden irises locked into mine, searching for any of the sadness that quelled deep within the very fiber of my being.

I shrugged as I slowly traced the hot ceramic of my tea cup with the tip of my finger, silently wincing as it burned.

"After seeing you, many times did I think of Kronos and what his reaction would be if I dared to defy him. The risks outweighed my own personal desires; I couldn't allow any harm to befall George.

I paused to take a ginger sip of scalding English tea, collecting the next onslaught of explanations I had for the Grecian goddess. The words felt foreign and fake as they passed through my lips, my own cognizance felt amiss as I stared at the very visage of immortality.

"And I made up my mind to leave, then. I had to set aside selfish thoughts to save the man that I -" I stopped myself there, feeling the warm, red, hot truth pool in the hollows of my cheeks like silky wine. Tempting to pour out, glaze the tender supple flesh of my lips.

Hebe only listened to me intently, silent as a nun as she watched me struggle to rein in my emotion. A difficult task, might I add. 'Twas no simple feat to put on a convincing mask of nonchalance in the very face of extraterrestrial power.

"It is not that I don't appreciate your help, I do. You are my saving grace in all sense of the word. But I fear the wrath of the psychotic god of time that seems so omnipresently perched on my shoulder."

"As you should, young flower. You'd a fool if you remained ignorant to the power and depth of cruelty my brother contains in the dark recesses of his mind. He is so intrigued by you, darling, because he cannot see your future."

What? My heart roared in my chest to the beat of an ancient war drum in the throes of battle.

"Kronos cannot see my future, and this is why he tortures me day in and day out?" That slimy bummy mother fuckin' fool! I swear on god I'll be the one to send this greasy haired fool to hell.

I struggled to maintain composure as I fought through the scalding rage that consumed my veins, pursing my lips to hold back the violent stream of words that threatened to break free.

"Kronos can't see your future, only glimpses of your present. That is why he can't just simply send you back my dear, he is hunting you. You're his prey."

I was stunned, but also slightly smug. The all powerful god couldn't see my future. I could play with the blind spots in his vision, I could play with him just like he's played with me. But this time, I'd be pulling the strings.

"Take this knowledge with a grain of salt, Juliet. If Kronos finds out you're aware of your gift, he'll prematurely end your deal." Hebe said with the raise of her brow, and I read in between the lines just perfectly.

"I'll still hold up my word, Juliet. I'm going to help you. But do not let this knowledge surge a sense of hubris within you. It will kill you." Hebe grabbed my right wrist with desperation, searching my eyes for any trace of challenge.

I hid it well.