46%

THE DRESS didn't fit right. Neither did the shoes. They pinched my toes. The white was too off-putting- the veil trapped me as if I were a bird struggling for air beneath its wings. Mum was crying, aunties swarming me with feather-light hands that adjusted my dress, veil, train.

Miranda just stared at me with contemplative eyes from the fitting area lounge chair. Her face was devoid of any telling emotion as I locked eyes with her, silently pleading for her to understand my unspoken messages that I had for her.

Help me. Get me out of here. I can't breathe.

The dress attendant came to tighten the corset of the dress at per Mum's request and I shrieked for her to stop, clawing, tearing, scratching for my way out.

"Get this off! Now!" I wailed as I dissolved into a pool of hysterics, Miranda rushing up to undo the buttons and strings.

"Juliet, what's going on. Tell me now." Miranda whispered worriedly into my ear and I shook my head away with the tears that threatened to escape.

There were no words to accurately pin down my misery- my desire to be liberated from the evil that was my husband-to-be. I had to swallow it down. I was being a child. I was a woman now- a woman to be wed.

If I were to back out now, the repercussions would be severe. My father would no doubt excommunicate me, alienate me from the family.

My marriage was the binding of my wrists, the ultimate show of ownership. The crown jewel of the Bishop family marrying the boy king of a rival family. The unity. The revocation of the peace that had been settled from bloody streets.

"I'm fine. The dress was too tight. I couldn't breathe." I murmured, pushing back the screams that bubbled up at the crest of my throat.

"Why you? Why am I seeing the god of the underworld? Aren't you too busy for the mortal likes of me?" I snorted, walking through the floor's hallway with a very jittery Hades in tow.

Never thought I'd be able to think that but, my life has been a scramble of unbelievable events recently so the real issue here is why I'm even surprised.

"Anytime dad decides to mess with a human, as rare as that occasion is, is detrimental to their mortal coil." Hades said with a nonchalant shrug, his vibrant irises shifting as I approached my room. I felt oddly calm.

Not at all like how I should be feeling when being practically interrogated by a God, especially the God of the Underworld nonetheless.

"Detrimental? Please, do enlighten me." I drawled as I shoved the key into the lock and reluctantly twisted it.

In the ten minutes I've known Hades, he has yet to attack me nor kill me in any shape or form so I suppose I subconsciously began to trust him. Hopefully that decision won't come back to bite me in the ass anytime soon.

"Wait- before you answer tha', won't your dear ol' papa know you and I are conspirin' against him?" I mused to the God of the Underworld as I invited him into George and I's love den while setting my purse down onto the coffee table with a soft click.

Hades chuckled and shook his head as he fished out a bifter from his pocket and lit it with the snap of his thumb and ring finger. Fluid, dangerous. Too charming, but that was all apart of his shtick as death. Confuse the hive mind of the people, guide them into taking an eternal dip in the river styx.

"The beauty of you Juliet, is that my father cannot see the futures of anyone who interacts with you. He cannot travel to the future strand, nor to the present strand, not even to your past strand. So he cannot possibly know of us 'conspiring' together. Although, I prefer plotting if that's alright with you lil miss." Hades' American accent was off-putting, however slightly comforting.