Fate

The Present lay wide awake all night, unable to rid herself of the memories from the Past. She'd called up Time on several occasions, urging him to heal her, but alas, he was no doctor. All he could d was watch through her window as she writhed in her misery. 

The Past.. oh, he was a lifetime she wished she could crawl back to, but that door was locked he moment she walked out. She couldn't shake the thought of lying in his clutches and holding onto him until it was time to move ahead.

Opportunity knocks on the door but once. She was an impatient little woman, with a clipboard in her hand and a scowl on her face. As the Present lay on her bed, contemplating whether or not she was ready to embark upon a new journey, she heard the clicking of heels down the sidewalk and the slight jingle of keys, undoubtedly leading to the door of the Past. She'd been given a chance to revisit him, but she'd let Opportunity walk away.

Once again, she cursed at Time, and begged him to rewind, but he simply shook his head, amusement glittering in those beady, wicked eyes.

Love was an open door. Or at least she had been, until the Present chose to walk away from her Past. She thought it was the right thing to do. She believed that she needed to branch out and write her own story. Little did she know that the way to do that was to make peace with her beginnings. Only Time could tell whether she would find herself back where it all started.

When morning came, there was yet another knock on the door. The Present raced towards it, hoping that Time had finally agreed to help her. Instead, she found herself face to face with the Past. In that instant, she realised how much she'd grown. She understood the importance of walking away and searching for her what lit her soul on fire. Time had helped her- she'd just been too caught up in her head to notice it. 

All those years and years of history came flooding back to her as she sank into his arms. The Present understood that she could never truly move on until she had reconnected with her Past. She couldn't let go without healing ancient wounds. She needed to branch out, yes, but no flower could bloom without its roots. She needed help from the Past to craft the Future.

As she entangled from his warm embrace, she saw an old woman smiling at her from the street. When she caught her eye, she winked. It was none other than Fate.

When Time aged a couple of years, and Love unlocked the door again, another visitor came by. The Past and Present, together, opened the door of new beginnings. They handed the baton for the next stretch of life to the product of their love and unity- The Future.

~Via

. . .

A/N Here's my shot at writing something different. What started out to be a simple, rhyming poem turned out to be a long narrative that barely qualifies as a poem. Nevertheless, I hope you like it!