Chapter Twenty: Change

I ran my hands through my hair, feeling jittery and anxious. I had stayed and talked to Rey about everything, living on Tatooine, my family, how I was kidnapped, Kylo and I's force connections. Everything. Resulting in me being late to Kylo's.

My heart slammed against my ribs as I half ran down the hallway, my breathing heavy. I skidded down the hallway, nearly sliding into the wall.

I then got to his door, it slid open and I rushed in, nearly falling onto the floor.

"You're late." Kylo said. He was folding clothes on his bed, he was doing it so casually that it was intimidating. I eyed him, wondering why he wasn't screaming at me, why he wasn't brandishing his lightsaber and swinging it at my face.

"I'm sorry." I said, "I got lost on the way to the cafeteria." I mumbled, wrapping my arms around myself. The turtleneck he had given me did nothing to the frosty cold spell the ship always seemed to be under.

"Don't let it happen again." He said blandly, putting his clothes into his drawers. I chewed on my lower lip, shouldn't he have been angry at me?

"So you're not going to ask what I was doing with Rey? Or that I had to go to General Hux for directions." I said, taking a step closer to him. I didn't care if my teasing him would get myself into trouble, I needed to invoke some kind of emotion inside of him. It was frustrating seeing him so placid. 

I saw his expression darken at the mentioning of Hux, the shirt he was holding crumpled in his hands that were now fists.

"Just don't do it again." He said, putting the shirt in the drawer and slamming it shut. "Now, get some sleep. We're leaving tomorrow morning." He said.

"Where are we going?" I asked, eyeing him.

He looked down at me, something flickering behind his hazel eyes. He clenched and unclenched his jaw, glancing down at my lips, and I wondered if he was thinking the same thing I was.

"Dealan." He said, the word rolling off of his tongue.

"What's there." I asked, taking another step closer to him. There mustn't have been more than a foot of space between us. I ached to close that gap.

"Lightning. Lot's of lightning." He said, leaning closer to me, "And where there's lightning there's electricity." He said. I furrowed my eyebrows, chewing on the inside of my cheek.

"I don't understand-" I started, but before I could finish he cut me off right as the pieces were starting to come together.

"We'll be there for four days. I need to train you. You have potential with your powers, you need to learn how to control them, and how not to die out quickly." He said, leaning forward. Seven inches of space, now.

"Is anyone else going on this... trip?" I asked.

"No. Just us." He said, I felt myself stiffen, "is that a problem?" He asked, noticing my change of mood.

I glanced down at my boots, four days alone with him, probably in an isolated space wasn't the best combination. I had trouble maintaining my composure around him when we were in a room full of troopers. Nevermind being completely alone.

"No, I just-" I started, glancing up at him. My cheeks flushed as I realized he had been staring down at me the entire time.

"You what?" He said, leaning closer. Four inches. We were practically sharing the same air.

My heart was pounding against my chest and I prayed he couldn't hear it. I looked down at his lips again, craving that feeling of them against mine. He then inched forward, our lips brushed-