Chapter Forty Five: Waiting Game

Ben's pov

I awoke abruptly, smacking my head against something hard and cold. I winced and brought my hand up to massage my now throbbing head, squeezing my eyes shut to stop the light from slicing through the murkiness in my head.

I slowly lifted myself up, running a hand through my hair. I began to open my eyes, feeling as though they had been glued shut before. It didn't feel like I was in my bed, in fact it didn't even feel like I was in my own room, it was too cold, and too bright.

I peeled my eyes fully open, now impatient to see my surroundings. And what I saw made my heart jump-start and a cold feeling swim inside my stomach. I was in a jail cell, but not just any cell, but a cell for our most dangerous prisoners, cells that are made out of metal that can resist the cruelest strokes, or the most dangerous of magics. They were invincible. I mean, I would know because I made them like that.

I couldn't remember why I was here, in fact the only thing I last remembered was waking up in bed with Aerolynn in the middle of the night. But why, though? It took me a frustrated minute, but finally, my brain slowly brought up the memories of the red lights flashing on and the blaring alarm ringing through the base. And then seeing Aerolynn be frozen by Tiberius, who I tried to attack but he had gotten to me first, rendering me unconscious.

"Aerolynn." I said, my voice loud in the silence of the prison cell. I slowly rose up from where I was lying down, my muscles aching in protest. I looked in front of me and saw none other than Eli and Hux in the cell across from us, they were leaning against each other on one side of the wall, using one another as a support system. I let out a sigh of relief seeing that they were both relatively safe, well, as safe as one could be while the strongest army in the galaxy was plotting against them.

But I hadn't found the person I most cared for yet. I turned around, my heart slamming into my ribs until finally I found her, she was pressed into the corner of the room, her head leaning against the wall and her eyes closed, her hand resting against her stomach. I hadn't realized it before but my head must have been in her lap while I was sleeping, but in the heat of the moment I hadn't noticed it.

Aerolynns eyebrows scrunched together and I saw her visibly stiffen, her eyes flickering wildly under her eyelids. I observed her, reaching into our bond to find that she was in pain. I rushed to take it away from her with force healing, but when I touched her nothing happened. Panic made my heart beat wildly and I brushed my hand against her cheekbone, trying to awaken her.

"Aerolynn." I said, seeing her squirm more actively, meaning she was close to waking up. "Aerolynn." I said again, but this time her eyes opened and she looked up at me, confused for a moment before recognition made her face go bright and she smiled, reaching up and pushing the hair out of my eyes.

"You're in pain." I said, my eyes roaming her face, looking for any visible sign that Tiberius had hurt her. If he did I was going to grab my lightsaber, and ignite it, I'd plunge it into- but my violent thoughts were interrupted by Aerolynn chuckling.

"Yes, Ben. That's what happens when your in labor." She said, gritting her teeth together and trying to fix her position, but seeing as nothing would take her pain away she stopped.

"Shit. The pregnancy. The baby. I completely forgot." I said, pressing a shaking hand to my face. I felt awful, I couldn't believe I had forgotten about Aerolynns water breaking. My baby was coming, I was going to be able to see it soon. Was I ready? Were we ready? We still hadn't really talked about names yet or anything like that...

"It's alright, Ben." Aerolynn said, placing her hand over mine which was resting on my cheek, "considering the circumstances I understand." But I only shook my head.
"Aerolynn, I'm a terrible father. I mean look at you, you're going to have a baby in a prison cell on the day that we find out the First Order is rebelling against us. And I forgot that you were going into labor! And I mean, there's nothing we can do to help you through this, no medicine, painkillers, nothing. Aerolynn, I don't know how to deliver a baby." The word seemed to tumble out of my mouth without my wanting them to and I quickly snapped my mouth shut, knowing she should only be getting relaxation right now, not more added stress thanks to me.