Chapter Fifty: Into the Desert

Aerolynns pov
"No, no, that was a false move!" Poe yelled, pointing at me. I raised my hands up in defence, staring down at the dejarik board, making sure he wasn't right, and sure enough I hadn't cheated.
"Nope, that's an approved move." I said, crossing my arms over my chest. Poe studied the board, propping his chin on his hand. His tan skin was illuminated thanks to the glow from the holochess board and I could see a vein popping out of his forehead as he tried to prove my apparent cheating.
"And how would you know?" He asked, squinting his eyes and looking awfully suspicious.
"My father taught me how to play Dejarik when I was five years old, and we played every night after dinner, so I think I know how to play." I said, something dark uncurling in my stomach as I thought about my father.
"Fine, but if you win, you will be seeing a very crabby pilot for the rest of our trip." Poe said, moving a piece so that he stole one of my lesser ones. I smiled and stole one of his higher positioned pieces, making him swear.
"Fine by me, as long as I win." I said, smiling down at him, he returned my expression with a frown, shaking his head and muttering something vile to himself. After another half an hour of sheer concentration and strategy Poe finally leaned back, running a hand through his short hair.
"You know what, I give up. Your giving me a headache Aerolynn Solo." I laughed, looking up at him.
"You do realize that giving up automatically give me a win right?" I asked, he shook his head, walking off.
"Go bask in your victory." He said, waving me off with his hand as he walked off, bending down and rubbing BB-8's head.
"You were just scared that I was going to win." I said, clapping his shoulder as I walked past him and into Ben and I's small quarters that really only had one bed barely big enough to fit the both of us, not that it really mattered considering we cuddled without even realizing it most nights.
"Hey." I said, entering the room where Ben was, he was lying on the bed, his arms propped under his head and his boots kicked off. He nodded, and moved over so that I could lay next to him, and I did, parallel to him so that our shoulders brushed. I looked over at him, he was staring at the ceiling, lost in thought.
"I never knew the ceiling was so interesting." I said, nudging his arm lightly, he barely laughed. I frowned and perked my head up on my hand, leaning on my elbow so I could look down at him. His eyes met mine, and they softened slightly, but I could tell his mind was elsewhere.
"What are you thinking about?" I asked, reaching out to grab his hand which he laced together with mine. His hands were warm and I desperately wanted to lay next to him to soak in his heat seeing as the Millenium Falcon was cold, but I knew I had to find out what was bothering him first.
"Things." He said, making me glare down at him and pinch his arm. "Fine, fine. I'm worried."
"Worried about what?" I asked even though I knew I was probably stressing about the same things, we were both just too proud to admit it to each other.
"Palpatine. If he can come back from death and speak into my mind, then I'm worried about what will happen when we do eventually face off against him. He's pure evil, a phantom menace." He said, letting out a low chuckle.
"We're stronger than him. We've been preparing for this for months-" I started, but he interrupted me before I could finish.
"Well he's been preparing this for years, ever since I was a child, or maybe even before that, who knows. He was the voices inside my head, turning me to the dark. He was probably using me to regain power. He's been gathering ships, Aerolynn, a whole fleet that could obliterate everything we love in less than a second."
"Do you have no hope?" I asked, feeling incredibly foolish seeing as he was using logic and facts whereas my defence was just hope. A feeling that things were going to be okay even though the odds were against us.
"I just... I don't want anyone to get hurt. I don't want you to get hurt. I know if the moment comes you'll sacrifice yourself to save others." He said, his voice shaking.
"And?" I asked, not seeing what was wrong with that.
"And I'm selfish, Aerolynn. I want you to stay by my side forever. After this battle, I want to be able to kiss  your head every morning right when I wake up and every evening before I go to bed. I want to be able to see our daughter grow up with you." He said.
"I'm not going to die, Ben. I know how to fight. You taught me how. I believe in my abilities, Palpatine's weakened, I know we're stronger than he is and you have to believe that too. Our plan won't work if you're already thinking it'll fail." I said, although I felt like I could collapse from the weight on my shoulders and the fear that thrummed through my veins, my words came out oddly convincing, and if I didn't feel like crap about everything even I would believe them.
"You're right." He said, turning to look up at me, "I'm sorry."
"Don't apologize." I said, brushing a stray piece of hair away from his face. He pulled me into his side and pressed his chin on top of my head. I shuddered and he pressed me closer to him, pulling me onto his chest so that I could hear the strong and steady beat of his heart.
"I love you." I whispered, feeling his hand reach under my shirt so that the palm of his hand touched my lower back, I didn't think I would ever tire from his touch.
"I love you too." He said, and with that I let his heartbeat lull me to sleep.