Chapter 25: Millennia of Fray

The sound of clattering window pane dragged Darwin from his deep slumber, there was a shaking in the ground - an earthquake. The cold floor trembled behind as he slowly opened his eyes. He looked up to the ceiling with a frown and narrow eyes. He rubbed temples in slight haze before he pulled himself up.

The shaking stopped. It wasn't as violent as he thought it would be. So he just let himself fall back to the couch behind him.

"Who played the earth vibrator again?" ,He mumbled in between sobs and grunts. He scanned the room with his back lying on the futon.

"Good Morning handsome", A very familiar voice broke the silence.

"Oh not again", Darwin whispered with his face burrowed deep in the sheets.

"Speaking of the devil", Ae walked in with his maroon leather coat. His killer combat boots thudding like metal horse shoe in the wooden floor. He snapped his fingers and the room warped open letting the sun shower upon them.

Darwin's eyes went wide as he realized what Ae is trying to do but to his surprise he didn't feel any burning sensation in his skin.

"Are you crazy?!", Darwin hissed at him.

"At least not yet. It's a beta test", He looked up to the sky with narrow eyes.

"Beta what?", Darwin looked down on his arms. For the first time in centuries, he finally came across with sunlight. His skin beamed like diamonds under the sheer caress of the light passing through the thin atmosphere. He looked up and closed his eyes. He never felt good in a while.

"Love that?", Ae looked at him with one eye closed.

"What is happening?" , Darwin asked still looking up and feeling the sun.

Ae fell back to the couch and crossed his legs. He tapped his chin with his fingers and curled his tongue.

"Well. I did a little experiment. When I first saw you I feel like I can infiltrate your mind just like any other mortal. And I did. I did try to push myself into that little thing under your skull but unlike any other being I can only set foot to some parts", Ae explained.

"What exactly are you?", Darwin asked again.

"That's the billionth time you've asked me", He replied.

"That's the same amount of time you didn't answer", Darwin snapped back.

"Ok. I'm a demon. But not just your typical demon with horns and tails and fork and big penis. I'm the demon of the dead earth, the mystic land of the black sun. Master of death arts, dark arts, and universal manipulation", Ae playfully gestured his hands as if introducing himself in front of a noble king.

"You talk too much", Darwin turned to him with one eye open. He skin still beaming in the moonlight.

"You know, the thing about vampires is that they have this beauty blessed by the nature. A beauty that's beyond explanation. I mean look at you, every man and woman known in comparison is a total failure. You even look better than me. Well at least you were", Ae commented on him.

"I'll take it as a compliment and then an insult", Darwin replied.

Ae laughed next to him. He took a sip of his tea sitting on top of the glass table.