Best Friends (S1)

After returning from the twilight realm Ritchie had insured Xylo got to his cabin and also convinced Bri to go with Austin. Although he was pretty sure that she was going to stay with him anyway. She liked him a lot more than she seemed to be willing to admit. After sorting out the newer campers he had wanted to go talk to Kaykrae and ask her what she had been thinking. She may not like Apollo or his kids but endangering the lives of campers was unacceptable. Especially since she knew the history of the Cave of Erebus.

The way this could affect Michael.

That was why he wasn't chasing down the counselor. Michael was his current priority. The son of Athena had headed directly to his cabin after returning to camp, which is why Ritchie took over settling everyone. That was typically Michael's job, but he was on no shape to pretend to care about the others.

Ritchie walked up to Michael's cabin and hesitated for a moment, just to prepare himself for whatever condition Michael was in. Michael had gone through the stages of grief and sometimes fell back into them. Michael could get angry, he could throw himself into work and different books, he could pretend he was fine, or... He could just shutdown.

That was the one Ritchie hated the most. When Michael shutdown he didn't do anything. He just kind of layed in his cabin and didn't do anything. He wouldn't eat, sleep, nothing. Ritchie could only hope it wasn't too bad. Last time Michael shutdown Ritchie spent all his time with him but now, with camp so full and multiple quests he had to work on and help others with he couldn't afford to spend all his time here.

Finally Ritchie raised his hand and knocked. "Michael," he called out, "Can I come in?" There was no answer so he took it as an okay. Pulling open the door he let out small sigh. Michael was laying on the top bunk of his bed and just staring at the ceiling. "Hey buddy..." Ritchie tried again. "What ya up to?"

Michael just sorta shrugged and didn't look Ritchie in the eye. Ritchie grit his teeth and thought about how badly he was gonna lose it at snake lady later.

Sitting on the bunk below Michae,l he just started to talk like it was an average day. "I met my brothers earlier." He paused before continuing. "Their names are Inmo an Colin. Inmo said he met you on his first day. He was kinda upset hebhad to fight on his first day. But it's like I told him. Training every day."

Glancing at Michael, he couldn't help but to grin. Michael still had a very blank expression but he had tilted his head just a fraction to hear better. To Ritchie it was a sign he was listening.

"Colin is pretty cool too. He was really impressed with some of the stuff I could do. When I showed him my tornado Inmo jumped in it despite me telling him not to." Ritchie sighed dramatically. "It seems like I'm gonna struggle to keep him under control. But as the big brother it is my job to keep them safe and happy." Then Ritchie curiously asked. "Do you wish you had siblings?"

Michael let out a small hum and shrugged again. Alright, Ritchie thought, too soon to expect him to talk.

"As far as I know the only people without a sibling here is you and that Mario kid who is apparently the son of Zeus. I still haven't met him yet. We've spent most of our time together, so I don't think you have either. Otherwise you would have mentioned it, yeah?"

Ritchie watched as Michael nodded slightly and definitely seemed more... Alive, or at least that's what he'd call it. He was reacting more that was for sure. Ritchie's smile grew larger. This was a new record for pulling Michael out of a shutdown.

Carrying on his one sided conversation Ritchie nodded sagely. "Thought so. We tell each other everything. We're best friends so that's obvious. By the way, is it just me is that son of Apollo becoming more and more difficult to handle? I was just starting to understand how he worked, and then he just takes it to a new whole level!" Ritchie flopped backwards as he whined.

"He's trying to impress Bri..." Michael's quiet voice came from above him.

Ritchie laughed. "Is that so? Makes sense. He's been smitten since he first saw her. Which, if he is too be believed, was when he was in kindergarten. Or was it at a Walmart? I'm losing track of all his stories." Sitting back up Ritchie asked. "Is what all children of Apollo are like? Wait, no Xylo isn't like that. Is he just that special?"

"Seems like it..." This time Michael's voice had a hint of humour to it.

"Honestly! I know I don't have the most experience with people but even so, I can tell he's odd. Not that there's anything wrong with being odd but he's just a bit much to handle. Especially if it's in a life or death situation." Ritchie snapped his mouth shut and winced.

The minute the words left his mouth he regreted them. He wasn't sure if that would throw Michael back into depression or not. To his relief Michael laughed. It wasn't loud or open laughter just a small, quiet under his breath type of thing but it was enough to let Ritchie know he hadn't messed up.

He pressed forward. "Still though, I think he's a good guy. Bri too. Ya'know I think She likes him a lot more than she'll let on."

"Oh..?"

"Yeah. I think she likes Xylo too though. If her actions mean anything. Despite that she puts up with him a lot more than most people would. He is really obnoxious."  Ritchie sighed. "How is he the child of the prophecy? Also he's started introducing himself like that. Along with things like "Slayer of the Naga," and "Killer of the Liche." He is really letting this stuff get to his head."

"Wow..." Michael muttered. "No love for the Minotaur, the Hydra, or Polyphemus, huh?"

"I know right!" Ritchie jumped up and looked Michael in the eye. "We must rectify the situation immediately! They deserve the acknowledgement! I mean so do we but," Ritchie shrugged sadly, "our acknowledgement is yet to come..."

Ritchie let out a last dramatic sigh before locking eyes with Michael. After a moment of the two staring at each other, they both burst out laughing. They laughed so hard that Ritchie found himself bent over clutching his sides and Michael had tears in his eyes. They weren't laughing because things were particularly funny but moreso just because of the enjoyment they got from the others company.

After the bout of laughter Ritchie stood back up and grinned at Michael who was also sitting up. "You good now?"

Michael groaned. "Yeah, sorry about that. I'm being a baby aren't I?"

"No you're still grieving. It's normal." Ritchie grabbed Michael's hand and smiled. "You're fine." He gave his friend's hand a squeeze. Michael nodded and returned the gesture, a faint smile playing at his lips.

"Thanks Ritchie. I don't know what I'd do without you." Michael's voice was quiet and sincere as he hesitantly met Ritchie's eyes.

Under normal circumstances Ritchie would make some kind of joke but now he just smiled once more. He gave Michael's hand one more squeeze before sighing and pulling away.

"You don't have to worry about what you'd do without me. For now though, we have somethings to take care of. First we need to talk to Austin and Bri. Then we talk to Kaykrae."

Michael nodded and hopped down. "Do we have to talk to Kaykrae?"

"We can put that off until later but for now, Austin and Bri."

Michael nodded and together the two walked out of the cabin.

A/N: More cute fluffy stuff! I love these these two so much <3  and their best friend relationship. I feel like Ritchie would have been there for Michael and that the whole thing would have lasting effects on them. So having to go back wouldn't be the best for him.

Also may do an au where they do confront Kaykrae.