Seventeen.

Martez

I was sprawled out across my sister's couch as I flipped through the channels. To say that being released from jail felt good was a fucking understatement. I was just glad to be free.

It felt like a big weight had been lifted from off of my chest. It was embarrassing to not only be accused of killing my father, Ken, but also finding out he wasn't even my real father to begin with.

I had always wondered why I didn't look like my mother or Ken. Shit, the way my mama lie, I'm probably adopted. Which is why I had to sit down and talk to the lady to figure out this thing called my life. Obviously, get some answers for Eve too, because regardless of how much she wanted to front like it was above her, she doesn't know shit about her life just like I didn't.

That was the only reason why I forgave her for the shit she put Evie and I through, because I knew if I ever faced her again for these answers, my hate for her would shine bright.

Speaking of the devil, I missed my little sister the most. Any person that knew me, knew I loved Evie to my core. For as long as I could remember, I vowed to be her protector even if that meant getting her away from our mother. Evie was my heart and I'll kill any muthafucka for her.

Being home truly felt good but what really had me fucked up was Tish and her little bitch boy boyfriend.

I couldn't even believe she let this corny ass muthafucka speak to me in that way. Shorty was supposed to be my ride or die no matter what. Yeah, I told her to move on, but I didn't think she'd actually listen to me! That's just the type of shit that people say in movies to make their partner feel better.

It had only been three years since I had been gone and I had every intention of reclaiming my spot as her man when I was free.

I was livid at that shit. I could spit fire, that's how fucked up the both of them muthafuckas had me. What's more fucked up is that Tish didn't even have the fucking decency to let this nigga know what was up.

She stood there with a blank ass expression on her face. She was literally stuck on stupid but I'm really bout set that ass straight because I'm sure she'll be bringing her ass around here.

I can admit, I wasn't the nigga of the year when we were together, but I did love her. She was rough around the edges, but that added to what I admired about her because so was I and she had a big heart, which is why I couldn't fathom us not being on the best of terms right now.

I feel like we've gone through worse than this and still ended up together, why is this time any different?

"Tez?" Eve yelled from upstairs breaking me out of my thoughts "What!" I shouted. She walked down the steps and stood there with an evil scowl on her face. "Nigga answer me right, the fuck!"

"Don't start today Eve, what's up? Why you yelling my name like you have no fucking common sense." I shot her look that could kill. "Why the fuck are you cussing so damn much?" I snapped.

She knows I don't play with her cussing all crazy like that.

I know I have to acknowledge that she's grown now but I wasn't ready to let go that she wasn't my baby girl anymore.

She rolled her eyes like she was actually annoyed. Her spoiled ass.

Shit, I know I have to take the blame for her being like that. "Look, I have to go to the office and handle some work. Tish is coming over to grab some things, so please, play nice." She gave me a warning look.

I kissed my teeth. "Man, ain't nobody worried 'bout that girl. As long as she keeps her distance, we cool." I said. That statement is somewhat half true, after today we'll keep our distance.