Twenty-seven.

Tish

Tish

"So it's true, huh?" I heard my mother's voice. I quickly spun on my heels and my eyes met hers. She wore a sad look on her face that flushed me with guilt "W-what is going on?' I stammered.

My eyes shifted between my mother and grandmother. It felt like all of the breath had been knocked out of my damn body. My eyes shot over to my granny who mouthed the word "Sorry".

"Answer me, Letitia." My mom spoke in a louder tone.

Darting my eyes back over to her, I blinked hard. I couldn't even believe my eyes right now, what the hell was my mom even doing in LA? She hated this city because she felt like it "stole me" from her. A more important question, is how did she even find out about Hazel, let alone know we were here?

"What's true, ma?" I took a stab at playing dumb instead of confessing to what she wanted, just to see how far it would get me.

"Letitia, stop playing games with me right damn now. Why wouldn't you tell me that I had a damn grandbaby! And what the hell is he doing here?" She shouted.

I pinched the bridge of my nose and leaned my head back "What the fuck..." I mumbled to myself.

"Get in line, lady. She ain't tell nobody about Hazel and I'm here because this is my child, where else I'm supposed to be?" Tez spat icily as I rolled my eyes, "Oh, now you care about my child? Where were you when she had the baby? Oh, that's right, you were locked up or laid up with one of your many hoes."

"This just isn't happening," I mumbled. "Tez, please don't even say anything, just focus on your daughter," I said before he got the chance to verbally handle my mother.

"Sonia, we don't use that kind of language around this child." My granny cut her eyes at her as walked over to Hazel and took a seat next to her on the bed, "How are you, baby?" she asked her sweetly as they strummed up a conversation.

"Ma, can you chill?" time and place meant nothing to her and that always pissed me off.

"Absolutely not! He's the nigga who turned my fuckin' daughter against me in the first place. Why aren't you in jail?" She asked.

I tilted my head to the side and looked at her with wide eyes. This couldn't be the conversation she wanted to have in the middle of my kid's hospital room.

"Sonia, what did I just say?"

I heard a few sniffles and my eyes landed on Hazel who held her head down with her hands over her ears. "Hazy?" I spoke softly to her, "It's gonna be okay. There's no need to get upset, baby." I walked over and rubbed her back while looking back at my mom.

Tez scoffed and was just as quick to make it to Hazel's side as I was, "She gotta go, she not about to be in here making my daughter uncomfortable."

Sucking her teeth, she looked at me to say something, but what could I say? He was right.