Chapter 1

Olivia

I always feel conflicted when I walk through the doors to the dance studio. Of course I'm happy to be here, but I'm surrounded by so much talent I always feel as if a panic attack will strike me down if I so much as look at the other dancers. I clutched the strap of my dance bag as I walked to my usual spot on the side of the studio, all the girls put their bags on the side but mine has always been in a specific spot; below a window and next to the second supporting pole from the door. I put down my bag and sat down next to it, surveying the other dancers as they conversed with each other. I knew them all by name, but I haven't even held a full conversation with even a quarter of them. 

There was Ariel Kingsmen, she was 16 years old with her birthday just around the corner. She had gorgeous long blonde hair with big green eyes, her nose was hooked and she had thin lips. Her speciality was hip hop and she could do the hardest of breakdance moves, however she always steered clear of lyrical dances, and when we did them, she was usually put in the back. I pursed my lips as I watched her show her sister a hip hop move, I could never do that. 

Talia Kingsmen was Ariel's twin sister but they weren't identical. She had blonde hair and dark brown eyes, her nose was pointed and her bottom lip is fuller than her top lip. She was just as good at hip hop as her sister, more than a few times Mrs Reynolds put them in a duet together, they almost always guaranteed a win. Unlike her sister, Talia was good at lyrical but she always had an issue with pointing her feet.   

Max Turner was a 17 year old, dark skinned girl with a tall physique. Her black hair was long and straightened to perfection, her lips were full and her eyes were complimented by long eyelashes. Her specialty was jazz and she rocked facial expressions, however tap wasn't her favourite. She was on the floor in a perfect middle splits with her stomach touching flat on the ground, her flexibility is amazing. 

Evie Wilson was a brunette with blue eyes, freckles dotted across her nose and her hair was usually in a tight bun. Like Max, she was also 17 years old. She was a good hip hop and lyrical dancer and her turns were flawless. I spotted her conversing with her older cousin Carolina (commonly called 'Carol') Reed. Carol, unlike her cousin, was a ginger with bright green eyes, her face was round with chubby cheeks and freckles on her cheeks. Her speciality was tap but she also enjoyed acrobatic dances. 

I looked around the studio looking for the last two dancers, I blushed when I spotted one of them. Alexandra May, the top dancer in the studio and unfortunately my crush. She was 17 years old. She had an oval face with plump, full pink lips. Her dark brown eyes looked like brown pools and were perfectly accented with long, black eyelashes. Her hair was dark brown with blonde highlights, pulled into a perfect tight ponytail. She was perfect in every way imaginable. Her technique was almost always flawless, her turns on point and she was great with every dance style given to her. 

'God how I wish I was as talented as them.' I thought pulling my shoes off and stuffing them in my bag, I was 16, having just turned last month. I was the youngest in my group and of course the one with the most issues, compared to them my dancing would never compare. I was pulled out of my thoughts by someone tapping my shoulder. I jumped and turned to the person next to me with wide eyes; it was Jazmine Church. She was also dark skinned with wavy, thick black hair, her eyes were dark brown and always held some kind of mischief. She was Alexandra's best friend. 

"C'mon Olivia, Mrs Reynold's is calling us into the centre," she said smiling at me. I cursed myself for getting caught up in my head. 

"Thanks." I mumbled standing up and shuffling slowly into the centre of the studio where everyone else was. I stood in between Max and Jazmine, Alexandra was in front of me. I bit my lip focusing on Mrs Reynolds who was at the front of the studio, the giant wall length mirrors behind her.