11

Jungkook pulls Taehyung into his room and closes the door a while after breakfast.

"Why was Namjoon sitting in the living room with Jin in his lap at 3 in the morning? Why the fuck is your brother up all night?" now it was Jungkook who was curious.

Jungkook had woken up rather early cause he was thirsty. Namjoon had told about Jin being up at night but he never wondered more about it. Jin had jumped quickly off Namjoon's lap when Jungkook came in. And now, Jungkook was too confused.

"He probably figured it out" Taehyung just answers. He looks at his feet and wiggles them a little.

"And?" Jungkook pushes, raising both eyebrows.

"H-hyung has insomnia. He barely sleeps more than three to four hours" Taehyung quickly spits out. The elder thought all of them were going to know at some point anyway.

Jungkook's face soften.

"Why?" he asks.

Taehyung looks to the side. It's clearly an uncomfortable topic for him.

"He fears we will be taken away from him. He worked so hard to keep custody over us. He was only 17 when we lost our parents, so it wasn't an easy task. He fears to close his eyes" Taehyung whispers.

Jungkook bits his lip. He regrets asking.

"I- we try to help him out as much as we can, but it's just not helping. He works so hard and still cooks us dinner every day and drives us to school. I hate it. I hate that I can't be a better brother for him" he continues.

Jungkook observes as the elder fumbles with his hands.

A sudden unknown feeling runs over Jungkook has he watches Taehyung lifts his legs up to his chin and hide his face.

He had only known the latter for two weeks, but it was still an unfamiliar sight to see Taehyung sad. And it broke Jungkook in a way he had never expected it to.

Without warning, he grabs the elder's wrist and pulls him back up. Taehyung stumbles confused by the sudden action before he's lead out of the room, down the stairs, out of the house and down the sidewalk.

Jungkook doesn't stop he just keeps running, not reacting to Taehyung's protests.

He finally stops and lets the elder breath when they are in front of the familiar ice cream truck. Taehyung looks confused at it before looking at Jungkook, tilting his head slightly.

The raven walks up to the cashier and orders the exact same thing as last time.

"Here" he reaches the ice cream to Taehyung who is still totally taken aback.

"Jungkook-"

"But you have to smile first" he teases, dodging Taehyung's hand that reached out for the cone.

The elder frowns. How could Jungkook wish for something like that when he himself still had that cold, bored expression?

But the ice is enough to turn Taehyung's feeling and he sends a huge smile towards Jungkook.

The younger had a plan. Not only to make Taehyung feel better, but also to confirm something.

And he didn't like the fact that it was true.

Taehyung has the most beautiful smile he has ever seen.

_____

They walk along the lake where they got into a fight for the first time.

"Why did you want me to smile?" Taehyung asks. He's almost done with the cone, looking up at Jungkook while licking the ice cream.

"Don't know" Jungkook answers coldly, forcing his eyes away from the other. Why was he licking it so lewdly?